Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Bank of Canada lowers growth expectations

  • Print

OTTAWA -- The Bank of Canada has lowered its forecasts for economic growth in the second half of 2013 and possibly for next year, citing a more prudent consumer and an export sector that has yet to fully recover.

Senior deputy governor Tiff Macklem said Tuesday the central bank no longer expects the July-September period to grow at a rate of 3.8 per cent as previously forecast.

Instead, the bank says the third quarter will likely show an economy that advanced at a more moderate pace of two per cent to 2.5 per cent, the same speed it now expects will continue in the fourth quarter. Previously, it had pencilled in a 2.5 per cent expansion for the last three months of the year.

The Canadian dollar dipped on the news and closed down 0.21 of a cent at 96.85 cents U.S. on Tuesday.

'This is good news'

-- Bank of Canada's Tiff Macklem

The new projections were unveiled in an advance copy of a speech delivered by Macklem to a business audience in Toronto.

It was an unusual occurrence for the central bank, which normally issues new forecasts during its quarterly monetary policy reports. The next report will be issued Oct. 23.

It was unclear why the bank decided to jump the gun, other than early indicators have pointed to a more subdued bounce-back for the third quarter.

A report Monday on gross domestic product from Statistics Canada found the economy advanced by 0.6 per cent in July, a good monthly number but less than would be necessary to jump-start the quarter to a near four per cent surge.

In the speech, Macklem explained Canadians had become more cautious about spending, a welcome development given debt levels are already at record highs in relation to income.

"This is good news," Macklem said. "But this new-found and welcome household prudence is dampening growth. To replace this growth, we need a rotation in demand toward exports and business investment."

"Unfortunately, this rotation has proven elusive."

Macklem said the central bank still believes a revival in the U.S. economy will eventually lead to an increase in demand for Canadian products, but due to competitive pressures and continuing weak demand, it is taking longer than expected.

The delay has also restrained businesses from stepping up investments, a vicious negative cycle that is keeping the economy from returning to its potential.

Although Macklem did not specifically refer to 2014, the analysis suggests the bank may also be preparing to revise downward next year's 2.7 growth estimate, which many economists already consider overly rosy.

In an initial reaction to the speech, CIBC chief economist Avery Shenfeld said the bank may keep interest rates on hold until 2015.

Macklem made no mention of the U.S. government shutdown.

-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 2, 2013 B6

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Preview: Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Jersey Lily

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A Great Horned Owl that was caught up in some soccer nets in Shamrock Park in Southdale on November 16th was rehabilitated and returned to the the city park behind Shamrock School and released this afternoon. Sequence of the release. December 4, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local/Standup- BABY BISON. Fort Whyte Centre's newest mother gently nudges her 50 pound, female bull calf awake. Calf born yesterday. 25 now in herd. Four more calfs are expected over the next four weeks. It is the bison's second calf. June 7, 2002.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Are you worried Ebola might make its way to Canada?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google