Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Deadline set on Quebec construction strike

  • Print

QUEBEC -- Quebec Premier Pauline Marois is giving the province's striking construction workers and their bosses until the end of the week to come to an agreement.

If that doesn't happen, Marois says she'll introduce back-to-work legislation.

In the meantime, she appointed a new mediator on Monday to help the two sides reach a deal.

"It's always better for the two sides to reach an agreement rather than introduce back-to-work legislation," Marois told reporters in Quebec City.

"We want people to come back to work happy and be productive."

About 175,000 construction workers in the residential, commercial and industrial sector have been off the job since last Monday. Talks between the unions and an alliance of construction companies broke off past midnight on Sunday after a lengthy weekend negotiation session.

The main sticking points include wages, overtime and labour mobility.

But Marois said there's reason for optimism after an agreement in principle was reached Monday for the 41,000 people who work on the province's roads.

The construction strike has stalled work on Montreal's two megahospitals, which are among the biggest construction projects in Canada.

It's also causing concern for people waiting to move into new homes and condos. July 1 is Quebec's traditional moving day.

 

-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 25, 2013 B8

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Theresa Oswald announces bid for NDP leadership

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project. Baby peregrine falcons. 21 days old. Three baby falcons. Born on ledge on roof of Radisson hotel on Portage Avenue. Project Coordinator Tracy Maconachie said that these are third generation falcons to call the hotel home. Maconachie banded the legs of the birds for future identification as seen on this adult bird swooping just metres above. June 16, 2004.
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 110621 - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 -  Doug Chorney, president Keystone Agricultural Producers flight over South Western Manitoba to check on the condition of farming fields. MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
my2011poy

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What's your take on the Jets so far this season?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google