The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Egypt asks YouTube to remove video of Tahrir Square sex assault that sparked public outrage

  • Print
In this Sunday, June 8, 2014 photo, Supporters of Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi celebrate his inauguration in Tahrir Square, Cairo, Egypt. Egyptian police on Monday arrested seven men for sexually assaulting a 19-year-old student during celebrations marking the inauguration of the country's new president in Cairo's central Tahrir Square the day before, security officials said. Sexual harassment has been one of Egypt enduring social ills, prompting authorities last week to issue a decree declaring it a crime punishable by up to five years in prison. Video footage posted on social media shows the student completely naked, parts of her body bloodied as policemen struggle to escort her out of Tahrir Square. (AP Photo/Thomas Hartwell)

Enlarge Image

In this Sunday, June 8, 2014 photo, Supporters of Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi celebrate his inauguration in Tahrir Square, Cairo, Egypt. Egyptian police on Monday arrested seven men for sexually assaulting a 19-year-old student during celebrations marking the inauguration of the country's new president in Cairo's central Tahrir Square the day before, security officials said. Sexual harassment has been one of Egypt enduring social ills, prompting authorities last week to issue a decree declaring it a crime punishable by up to five years in prison. Video footage posted on social media shows the student completely naked, parts of her body bloodied as policemen struggle to escort her out of Tahrir Square. (AP Photo/Thomas Hartwell)

CAIRO - Egypt has asked YouTube to remove a video of a woman being sexually assaulted in Tahrir Square during a rally supporting the country's newly elected president.

Presidential spokesman Ehab Badawy said in a statement that the Egyptian Embassy in Washington made the request to YouTube, which is owned by Google Inc. Officials with YouTube could not be immediately reached Friday.

Badawy said late Thursday that the woman attacked asked President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi during a visit he made to her hospital room to have the video taken down.

In a video of the visit, the woman told the president: "My daughter watches it every day and collapses."

El-Sissi told her: "I have come to tell you and every Egyptian woman that I am sorry. I am apologizing to every Egyptian woman."

Sexual harassment has long been a problem in Egypt, but mob assaults have increased dramatically both in frequency and ferocity in the three years since the ouster of longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

Several women were assaulted during Sunday's inaugural festivities in Cairo's Tahrir Square, the epicenter of the 2011 revolt that toppled Mubarak, which has also seen numerous mob sexual assaults during demonstrations held there since.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Key of Bart - I Just Want A Race

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local/Standup- BABY BISON. Fort Whyte Centre's newest mother gently nudges her 50 pound, female bull calf awake. Calf born yesterday. 25 now in herd. Four more calfs are expected over the next four weeks. It is the bison's second calf. June 7, 2002.
  • A water lily in full bloom is reflected in the pond at the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden Tuesday afternoon. Standup photo. Sept 11,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What do you think of Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s comment that Tina Fontaine’s slaying was a crime, and not part of a larger sociological problem?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google