Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Snowbirds: It's that time of year again

  • Print

This is our annual reminder to Canadians who spend significant amounts of time in the United States each winter.

Snowbirds have an obligation to file a Form 8840 with the U.S. government, if they have established a "substantial presence" in the U.S. The filing deadline is June 15.

Most folks don't realize it, but all Canadians who visit the U.S. casually do so under a B-2 Visa, which is for "tourism, vacation and pleasure visitors." Our ability to visit and spend our money in the U.S. is a privilege, not a right.

For 2012 (and the current June 15 filing deadline), a Canadian has established a "substantial presence" in the U.S. by spending 31 days or more in the U.S. in 2012 and a total of 183 days during 2012, 2011 and 2010, counting all of the days of physical presence in 2012, one-third of the days of presence in 2011 and one-sixth the number of days in 2010.

If you spent more than 121 days each year, this absolutely applies to you, without even doing the calculation. That's the cut-off line, as illustrated here, for a person spending 121 actual days in each year:

-- 2012 -- 121 days (all count);

-- 2011 -- 40 days (one-third of 121);

-- 2010 -- 20 days (one-sixth of 121).

This total is 121 + 40 + 20 181, which is less than the 183 limit. Therefore, no "substantial presence." However, if this example had shown 123 days in 2012, that would make the total 183, and therefore a "substantial presence" and a filing requirement.

Don't count days that you commute to work in the U.S. or days you were unable to leave due to a medical problem that developed while you were in the U.S. However, travel days that include presence in the U.S. count.

You probably don't need to file an actual U.S. tax return, as long as you have a "closer connection" to Canada than to the U.S. It is this "closer connection" that is proven by filing Form 8840, the Closer Connection Exception Statement for Aliens by June 15.

This form asks which country issued your passport, the location of your family members, car registration, social, religious and political organizations, where you are registered to vote, where you do business and your own opinion about your closer country connection.

If this shows you have a closer connection to Canada, then you're done. If it shows a closer connection to the U.S., then get an accountant qualified to prepare U.S. tax returns, as that will be required of you.

One question is "Type of U.S. visa" and your answer is likely a B-2 visa, the one I mentioned for "tourism, vacation, pleasure visitors." However, if you are working in the U.S., your answer may be different.

The form 8840 and related information can be located on the IRS website at The printable page is found at

Once completed, the form is mailed to Department of the Treasury, IRS Centre, Austin, Texas, 73301-0215.

Every year, I hear people say they don't want to make the IRS aware of their existence. While I empathize, it's naive to think they don't know you are crossing the border, since the Border Service scans your passport and puts in into the master database.

Ultimately, the IRS can compel you to file a tax return if you have a substantial presence and have not proven your closer connection to Canada, or deny you access to the U.S. entirely.

Dollars and Sense is meant as an introduction to this topic and should not be construed as a replacement for personalized professional advice.

David Christianson, BA, CFP, R.F.P., TEP, is a financial planner and vice-president with National Bank Financial Wealth Management.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 31, 2013 B7

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Jets fans decibel level through roof for first playoff game at MTS Centre

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Winnipeg’s best friend the dragon fly takes a break at English Gardens in Assiniboine Park Wednesday- A dragon fly can eat  food equal to its own weight in 30 minutes-Standup photo- June 13, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A young gosling flaps his wings after taking a bath in the duck pond at St Vital Park Tuesday morning- - Day 21– June 12, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Do you think the Jets will win Game 4 on Wednesday?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google