The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Gov't issues new regulations to make it easier to shut down unsafe bus, truck companies

  • Print

WASHINGTON - Intercity bus and truck companies with a continuing history of safety problems will be easier to shut down under regulations published online Friday by the Federal Motor Carrier Administration, an agency under fire for its oversight of the industries.

The regulations would give the agency authority to put out of business operators who have been cited for repeated problems, even if their most recent inspection alone doesn't quite meet the threshold for closure, the agency said.

The motor carrier administration was directed by Congress in a bill passed in 2012 to issue the regulations. Safety advocates have long criticized the agency for not being aggressive enough in closing unsafe truck and intercity and tour bus companies.

"We're pleased that they're doing this, but it's about time," said Jackie Gillen, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety. "It's outrageous that some of these carriers are still on the road and (the motor carrier administration) has looked the other way. Now, hopefully, that will change."

In November, the National Transportation Safety Board called for an investigation of the motor carrier administration, pointing to fatal bus and truck accidents that occurred after agency inspections.

In one crash, federal inspectors gave Scapadas Magicas, a California tour bus company, a satisfactory safety rating a month before one of the company's buses overturned near San Bernardino while returning from a ski resort last year. Seven passengers and a pickup truck driver were killed, and 11 passengers were seriously injured.

Federal inspectors didn't ask to examine the company's buses even though Scapadas Magicas buses had been cited previously for a host of mechanical problems during spot roadside inspections. All six brakes on the accident bus were found to be defective, according to the safety board. Later, two of the company's other buses were also found to have serious mechanical defects, and it was learned the company wasn't getting its buses regularly inspected by the state.

The motor carrier administration has been beefing up its oversight of the bus industry over the past year. A month after the safety board's call for an investigation, the agency announced it had shut down 52 bus companies in a nationwide crackdown.

The largest motor coach industry association supports the agency's expanded powers, with a few cautions.

Some carriers running high-profile routes have passed multiple inspections, yet remain under scrutiny, according to Dan Ronan, spokesman for the American Bus Association.

"Instead of being inspected three times in a short period of time, use those resources to find two other companies that may be troublemakers in the same area," he said.

The motor coach industry transports about 700 million passengers a year, roughly equivalent to the domestic airline industry.

___

Associated Press writer Justin Pritchard in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

___

Follow Joan Lowy on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/AP_Joan_Lowy

___

Online:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration: http://1.usa.gov/1dCvipy

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

RMTC preview of Good People

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • The sun peers through the fog to illuminate a tree covered in hoar frost near Headingley, Manitoba Thursday- Standup photo- February 02, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project. Baby peregrine falcons. 21 days old. Three baby falcons. Born on ledge on roof of Radisson hotel on Portage Avenue. Project Coordinator Tracy Maconachie said that these are third generation falcons to call the hotel home. Maconachie banded the legs of the birds for future identification as seen on this adult bird swooping just metres above. June 16, 2004.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you agree with the province’s crackdown on flavoured tobacco products?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google