The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Jos. A. Bank says government could block takeover bid by rival retailer Men's Wearhouse

  • Print

Jos. A. Bank raised doubts Sunday about whether the federal government will approve the takeover bid by rival clothier Men's Wearhouse.

Jos. A. Bank Clothiers said that Men's Wearhouse had yet to explain why the Federal Trade Commission would approve the proposed combination because of antitrust concerns.

Directors for Jos. A. Bank noted in a letter that the FTC had sent Men's Wearhouse a second request for information as part of its antitrust review.

"It is a very serious step for the FTC to issue a second request," the letter said. "Our two companies' stockholders should understand that second requests are issued in less than 2% of all transactions filed with the government and a high percentage of those transactions are never completed."

The two retailers have been dueling since October when Jos. A. Bank, based in Hampstead, Md., offered $2.3 billion for Men's Wearhouse.

Men's Wearhouse, based in Fremont, Calif., rejected that bid and also cited antitrust issues. It then countered with a $1.61 billion offer to buy Jos. A. Bank. That offer was rejected last month for being too low, leading Men's Wearhouse to send a letter Thursday saying it would be willing to raise its offer.

Jos. A. Bank sells men's tailored and casual clothing and shoes and is known for ads that say consumers can buy one suit or sport coat and get three for free. Men's Wearhouse runs its namesake chains as well as the Moores and the K&G chains.

A representative for Men's Wearhouse did not respond to an email seeking comment.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Chief justices breakdown cameras in courtroom project

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant / Winnipeg Free Press.  Local/Standup- Morning Fog. Horse prances in field by McPhillips Road, north of Winnipeg. 060605.
  • Susan and Gary Harrisonwalk their dog Emma on a peaceful foggy morning in Assiniboine Park – Standup photo– November 27, 2011   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google