The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Malaysia Airlines scraps 'bucket list' title for promotion

  • Print
FILE - in this Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014 file photo, Malaysia Airlines planes taxi on the tarmac at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, Malaysia. Malaysia Airlines has renamed a promotional competition asking people what activities and destinations are on their

Enlarge Image

FILE - in this Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014 file photo, Malaysia Airlines planes taxi on the tarmac at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, Malaysia. Malaysia Airlines has renamed a promotional competition asking people what activities and destinations are on their "bucket list" after acknowledging it was inappropriate given the two deadly disasters it has suffered this year. (AP Photo/Lai Seng Sin, File)

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia Airlines has scrapped the title of a competition asking people what activities and destinations are on their "bucket list," acknowledging it was inappropriate given the two deadly disasters it has suffered this year.

A bucket list is a term used by some English-speakers to describe a list of adventures they want to have before they die.

The "My Ultimate Bucket List Campaign" asked customers to come up with suggestions, the best of which would win prizes including flights on the airline.

All references to the bucket list have been scrubbed from the airline's website but cached copies of the competition's terms and conditions are still visible in Google searches.

A statement from Malaysia Airlines said the contest in Australia and New Zealand was launched online Monday, but removed the next day after a barrage of public criticism.

The title was "found to be inappropriate at this point of time," it said Thursday. "The airline appreciates and respects the sentiments of the public and in no way did it intend to offend any parties."

A Malaysia Airlines jet with 239 people on board went missing March 8 while en route to Beijing and no trace of it has been found. In July, a Malaysia Airlines jet was shot down over Ukraine, killing all 298 people on board.

The airline had a good safety record before the disasters and was once associated with high-quality service. But the twin disasters, and the airlines handling of the first one in particular, has badly damaged its brand.

The airline's majority shareholder, state investment company Khazanah, last week announced it would cut 6,000 workers at Malaysia Airlines as part of a $1.9 billion overhaul.

Danica Weeks, whose husband was a passenger on the vanished Flight 370, told the New Zealand Herald the promotion was "atrocious" and reflected the airline's insensitivity to families of victims.

The contest was reinstated on Wednesday and will run until the end of the year but without any new title as "the focus is on the prizes," the airline said.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Throne speech supports Winnipeg, Bowman and Chief say

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • The sun peers through the fog to illuminate a tree covered in hoar frost near Headingley, Manitoba Thursday- Standup photo- February 02, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • June 24, 2012 - 120624  -  Amusement riders on the last day of The Ex Sunday June 24, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Would you visit Dalnavert Museum if it reopened?

View Results

Ads by Google