The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

New Brunswick first quarter report shows slight decline in deficit forecast

  • Print

FREDERICTON - New Brunswick has made slight progress on its finances but remains in the red, the provincial government said Wednesday.

Finance Minister Blaine Higgs released a fiscal update projecting a deficit of $387.3 million for the 2014-15 fiscal year, down from the $391.1 million that was forecast in its budget presented in February.

But Premier David Alward said the repercussions from post-tropical storm Arthur earlier this month will also hit the province's bottom line.

"Without a doubt it's had an impact on the economy," Alward said, adding that the provincial government has begun the process of applying for federal disaster assistance.

At the peak of the storm, more than 140,000 New Brunswickers were without power because of downed trees and power lines. It took NB Power more than a week to restore power for all customers.

Audited financial statements were also released Wednesday for the 2013-14 fiscal year that reported a $498.7 million deficit, an improvement of $65.3 million over the third quarter projection but still $20 million more than what last year's budget had forecast.

The fiscal update comes two months before the provincial election set for Sept. 22.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Lindor Reynolds speaks candidly about life with terminal cancer

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Carolyn Kavanagh(10) had this large dragonfly land on her while spending time at Winnetka Lake, Ontario. photo by Andrea Kavanagh (mom0 show us your summer winnipeg free press
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Are you still on the Bombers' and Jets' bandwagons?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google