Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

News Corp. board votes to split up media empire

  • Print

LOS ANGELES -- News Corp. said its board of directors has approved plans to split its entertainment and publishing businesses into two separate companies. The company also adopted a shareholder-rights plan designed to prevent a hostile takeover in the volatile trading period after the split is complete.

The New York-based media conglomerate also said Friday the target date for the split is June 28. The company holding its TV and movie properties will be 21st Century Fox. The new News Corp., a smaller entity, will be focused on newspapers and publishing. Both will be publicly traded under separate ticker symbols.

The board also approved a program for the publishing business to buy back $500 million of shares after the split, providing a buttress to its share value.

The shareholders-rights plan, known as a poison pill, will make it expensive for any investor to buy more than 15 per cent of the voting shares in either company for a year after the split. It does so by giving existing shareholders the opportunity to buy new shares issued by the company for about half the price if that 15 per cent threshold is reached.

That allows founder Rupert Murdoch, who will be chairman of both companies and CEO of 21st Century Fox, to buy more shares to maintain his control of 40 per cent of the voting stock in both companies.

While the poison pill is standard and precautionary, News Corp. has been stung in the process of transferring shares in the past.

In 2004, when News Corp. transferred shares from its base in Australia to the U.S., billionaire cable TV magnate John Malone bought a threatening 16 per cent of voting shares, which he later traded back to News Corp. at a premium, for a 41 per cent stake in satellite TV operator DirecTV and $625 million in cash.

The company also detailed who will be on the boards of both companies after the split, adding three directors to the Fox side and four directors to the new News Corp.

Among the new Fox directors is Delphine Arnault, deputy general manager of Christian Dior Couture, and Jacques Nasser, former CEO of Ford Motor Co. On the publishing side, incoming CEO and former Wall Street Journal managing editor Robert Thomson will join the board, as will Ana Paula Pessoa, a partner at public relations firm Brunswick Group.

Murdoch said in a statement Friday's announcement was a significant step forward in the split plan, which was announced nearly a year ago.

"We continue to believe that the separation will unlock the true value of both companies and their distinct assets, enabling investors to benefit from the separate strategic opportunities resulting from more focused management of each division," he said.

News Corp.'s board had previously approved a preliminary split plan. The latest vote was on the formal proposal to split. Shareholders are expected to approve the split on June 11.

 

-- The Associated Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 25, 2013 B11

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Fire destroys one St. Norbert home, damages another

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS June 23, 2011 Local - A Monarch butterfly is perched on a flower  in the newly opened Butterfly Garden in Assiniboine Park Thursday morning.
  • Water lilys are reflected in the pond at the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden Tuesday afternoon. Standup photo. Sept 11,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should the federal government force band chiefs and councillors to disclose their salary information?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google