The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Outages from post-tropical storm Arthur costly for New Brunswick businesses

  • Print

FREDERICTON - For five days, Colin Sifton was literally powerless as he watched residents of his town of Hampton, N.B., pack the Tim Hortons next door to his empty restaurant.

Holly's Restaurant and Catering lost electricity on July 5 when post-tropical storm Arthur lashed the province, causing flooding, toppling trees and leaving more than 140,000 NB Power customers without power at its peak.

"The frustrating thing for us here at Holly's was that other restaurants like the Tim Hortons or the Subway were still open and incredibly busy," Sifton said.

"We could just sit and watch the traffic going in and out of their place."

Sifton said NB Power, the province's Crown utility company, told him that he remained in the dark because he was on a different part of the grid than some other businesses in the community.

"We had to throw out $6,000 to $7,000 worth of food, and lost about $12,000 in revenue," Sifton said.

"It is devastating for a small business."

His predicament was felt by other small businesses that waited for the lights to come back on at a critical time during the summer tourism season.

The Kings Landing Historical Settlement west of Fredericton also lost power as a result of the storm and it wasn't restored until eight days later.

"Not having the ability to open to guests for a variety of reasons outside of your control is a challenge that we certainly weren't anticipating," said Kevin Cormier, the executive director for the Kings Landing Historical Settlement.

The site is a history museum with actors depicting life in New Brunswick as it was in the 1800s.

Cormier said the timing couldn't have been worse — right at the start of their busy four-month tourist season.

"We had to cancel multiple bus tours, and a summer camp that we host here and several thousand visitors," he said.

Cormier estimates the cleanup, spoiled food and lost revenues will total more than $100,000. He said that's tough for an operation with a bottom line that was already razor thin.

"Not being open for a week when you have 18 weeks of opportunity to bring in revenue is a fairly substantial hit to our bottom line," he said.

NB Power crews continued work Wednesday to restore power, 11 days after the storm. By late afternoon, more than 1,800 customers were still without power.

NB Power president Gaetan Thomas said last week that the high number of trees that were felled proved challenging for crews because they were blocking access to some properties and required specialized equipment to move.

Sifton, who grew up in New Brunswick, said he doesn't remember experiencing such lengthy power outages.

"This is the third time there have been multiple days of lost power in the last 16 months," he said.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Public finally sees inside the Museum for Human Rights

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • June 24, 2012 - 120624  -  Amusement riders on the last day of The Ex Sunday June 24, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press
  • Jia Ping Lu practices tai chi in Assiniboine Park at the duck pond Thursday morning under the eye of a Canada goose  - See Bryksa 30 Day goose challenge Day 13- May 17, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you support Canada's involvement in the fight against Islamic State?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google