The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Quebecor considering launching wireless service outside home province

  • Print

MONTREAL - Quebecor Inc. (TSX:QBR.B) will soon decide whether it will expand its wireless service outside of its home province of Quebec, but chief executive Pierre Dion wants to first meet with the federal government.

"We expect to meet with the Canadian government soon in order to let them know what we assume to be the right conditions for us to operate a single service wireless business outside of our home territory," Quebecor president and chief executive Pierre Dion said Thursday.

"Its response will dictate our next step."

Dion said the company is analyzing its options, but did not specify what he was looking for to make a decision to expand across the country.

Quebecor owns the province's most-read tabloid newspaper and its most-watched TV network. It also operates a 24-hour news TV channel and Videotron, Canada's third-largest cable services provider and a wireless provider in Quebec.

Quebecor bought a swath of wireless spectrum in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia, in addition to Quebec, in the federal government's spectrum auction earlier this year.

The move raised hopes it would become a fourth national player to compete with Rogers (TSX:RCI.B), Telus (TSX:T) and Bell (TSX:BCE), but the Quebec company has been cagey about whether it will take up the challenge.

"I'm confident that our team will manage the process rigorously and that should the plan make sense, we will get the right attention," said Dion, adding that he expects to make a decision in a "few months."

Quebecor said Thursday it earned a profit attributable to shareholders of $40.7 million, or 33 cents per basic share, in the first quarter, compared to $35.6 million and 29 cents per share in the same period last year.

The Montreal-based media company says adjusted income from continuing operations was $49.3 million, or 40 cents per share — up from $36 million or 29 cents a share in the same period of 2013.

Revenue during the quarter was $1.04 billion, a gain of $11.4 million or just over one per cent.

Quebecor's telecommunications segment grew its revenues by $31.8 million and its adjusted operating income by $21.9 million in the quarter. Videotron Ltd. saw first quarter revenue increases for all of its major services.

Internet access revenue was 6.9 per cent higher at $13.6 million, the mobile phone segment grew 23.4 per cent to $11.7 million and cable television revenue grew marginally to $800,000.

During the quarter, Pierre Karl Peladeau resigned from the Quebecor board following his decision to enter provincial politics. He was elected as a Parti Quebecois party member in April. Sylvie Lalande was appointed board chairman of TVA Group and Fran�oise Bertrand named the board chairman at Quebecor.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Winnipeg Cheapskate: Cheap summer weekends

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A young gosling flaps his wings after taking a bath in the duck pond at St Vital Park Tuesday morning- - Day 21– June 12, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A mother goose has chosen a rather busy spot to nest her eggs- in the parking lot of St Vital Centre on a boulevard. Countless cars buzz by and people have begun to bring it food.-Goose Challenge Day 06 - May 08, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What should the city do with the 102-year-old Arlington Street bridge?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google