The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Russian accused of hacking US businesses' computers pleads not guilty to 29 charges

  • Print

SEATTLE - A Russian lawmaker's son accused of hacking computers at hundreds of U.S. businesses and stealing credit card information pleaded not guilty to 29 charges Friday.

U.S. District Judge John L. Weinberg ordered Roman Seleznev, of Vladivostok, Russia, held without bail until a hearing Aug. 16 to consider his custody status. His trial has been set to begin Oct. 6.

A 2011 grand jury indictment alleges Seleznev stole more than 200,000 credit card numbers and sold more than 140,000 of them, generating more than $2 million in profits. Some of the victims are in Seattle, where the investigation was centred and an indictment was filed.

Seleznev was arrested last month at an airport in the Maldives and flown to the U.S. territory of Guam, where another federal judge sent him to Seattle to face the charges.

The Russian Foreign Ministry has accused the U.S. government of kidnapping Seleznev.

At the hearing Friday, he spoke through an interpreter, mostly answering "yes" or "no" to the judge's questions. When asked if he understood the charges against him, Seleznev said, "I understand all of it, but all of it is untrue."

Court documents say the scheme involved hacking into computers that run point-of-sale terminals in businesses and installing malware to capture credit card numbers. Most of the companies affected between October 2009 and February 2011 were small businesses like pizza parlours.

In a statement issued after Friday's hearing, U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan said distance is not an effective strategy for avoiding prosecution.

"Cyber-criminals should take heed: Distance will not protect you from the reach of justice. We will investigate, we will locate, and we will bring foreign hackers to stand trial," Durkan said.

The 29 charges against Seleznev comprise five counts of bank fraud, eight counts of intentionally causing damage to a protected computer, eight counts of obtaining information from a protected computer without authorization, one count of possession of 15 or more stolen credit card numbers with intent to defraud, two counts of trafficking in those stolen numbers, and five counts of aggravated identify theft.

The charges carry a variety of potential penalties, with some counts punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Seleznev also is charged in a 2012 indictment filed in Nevada that accuses him of participating in a racketeer-influenced corrupt organization, conspiracy and possessing stolen credit card number. He is one of 55 defendants in that case.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Architect Antoine Predock speechless after CMHR opening

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • June 24, 2012 - 120624  -  Amusement riders on the last day of The Ex Sunday June 24, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press
  • A group of Horese pose for the camera in the early evening light at Southcreek Stables in Stl Norbert Wednessday. Sept  14, 2011 (RUTH BONNEVILLE) / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should the Canadian Museum for Human Rights use the word 'genocide' in exhibits on Indian residential schools?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google