The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Telus commits to spending $1.1 billion on infrastructure in Ontario by 2016

  • Print

TORONTO - Telus Corp. says it will spend $500 million in Ontario this year as it wraps up a three-year infrastructure plan that was first announced in 2012 and will invest a further $600 million in the province throughout 2015 and 2016, bringing the total commitment by the telecom company over the next three years to $1.1 billion.

Telus (TSX:T) will use the money for a variety of projects, including an extension of its fastest wireless network to more Ontario communities.

Among other things, the Vancouver-based company offers the Telus and Koodo cellphone and smartphone services, competing nationally against BCE's Bell Canada (TSX:BCE), Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI.B), privately held Wind Mobile as well as regionally against several other companies.

Telus said Wednesday that its most advanced wireless network, using LTE technology, is currently available to at least 85 per cent of Ontario's population but that it will use spectrum in the 700 MHz frequency, recently acquired through an auction by the federal government, to enhance its network speeds and coverage across the province.

The company recently acquired Public Mobile, a small Ontario regional player with only 260,000 customers, and announced previously that it plans to upgrade the smaller firm's technology. Telus has also attempted to acquire Mobilicity, another small Ontario competitor, but has encountered resistance from the federal government.

The Globe and Mail's online edition reported Wednesday that Telus has notified Mobilicity that it was withdrawing its latest offer, which has been the subject of a mediated negotiation involving the companies and Industry Canada, although none of the parties involved in the talks would comment on the article.

Mobilicity's spokesman said in a phone interview that he could neither confirm nor deny the report but read a prepared statement that said: "The mediation is ongoing and scheduled to continue next week. It continues to be business as usual for Mobilicity's customers and we'll continue to provide updates."

Telus spokesman Shawn Hall and the office of Industry Minister James Moore said they had no comment.

Besides being a major player in wireless, Telus is also Western Canada's largest provider of conventional residential phone service, mainly in Alberta and British Columbia, and a national player in a number of services for businesses and public-sector organizations.

Telus says it will some of the money to be spent in 2015 and 2016 will be used to expand its healthcare business, which provides physicians with electronic medical records for their patients, and to extend its fibre optics networks serving the businesses, government and other public-sector organizations.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Glenn January won't blame offensive line for first loss

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • July 1, 2012 - 120701  -   Canada Day fireworks at The Forks from the Norwood Bridge Sunday, July 1, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press
  • A red squirrel peaks out of the shade in a tree in East Fort Garry, Sunday, September 9, 2012. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Which of Manitoba's new landlord-tenant rules are you looking forward to most?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google