The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

US Justice Department closes probe of 2010 refinery blast in Washington state that killed 7

  • Print

SEATTLE - The U.S. Justice Department said Friday it will file no criminal charges following a four-year investigation into the April 2010 explosion that killed seven workers at the Tesoro Corp. refinery in Anacortes.

The decision was shared with victims' relatives earlier in the day, said Jenny Durkan, the U.S. attorney in Seattle.

Prosecutors examined whether criminal environmental and worker safety laws and regulations had been violated, but there was no evidence that reached the "exacting bar for criminal prosecution," Durkan said in a news release.

The U.S. Chemical Safety Board released its final report on the blast in May. It blamed the facility's safety culture, industry standards, and state and federal oversight for the catastrophic rupture of a heat exchanger at the refinery.

The board called for more conservative standards for the use of carbon steel and called on the state of Washington to adopt more rigorous safety management standards.

"I believe this investigation, as well as those conducted by other agencies, have prompted changes in how the industry conducts itself," Durkan said.

The Justice Department investigation included interviewing current and former workers, reviewing thousands of documents, and consulting with industry experts, she said. Investigators and prosecutors also reviewed investigative reports prepared by other investigative authorities, including the Chemical Safety Board.

The April 2, 2010, blast about 70 miles north of Seattle was the deadliest refinery incident in the U.S. since a 2005 explosion killed 15 people and injured 180 at a BP PLC refinery in Texas City, Texas.

A Tesoro spokesman did not immediately return a call seeking comment Friday afternoon.

Tesoro and the refinery's previous owner, Shell Oil Co., agreed to settle a lawsuit brought by the families of six victims for $39 million, and the families are also suing an outside firm that they say gave Tesoro bad advice on the mechanism that failed in the blast.

Tesoro is appealing a $2.4 million fine from the state Department of Labor and Industries.

David Beninger, a lawyer who represents the families, said his clients were OK with the decision not to file criminal charges.

"They knew the feds all along were not looking at, or able to prosecute for, the homicide or deaths of their loved ones," he said. "It was always about environmental issues and worker safety. The families used the civil system for what it's intended to do: uncover the truth and deter wrongdoing."

Beninger also credited Tesoro for trying to find and rectify the problems that led to the explosion.

But Hershel Janz, the father of 41-year-old victim Lew Janz, said he would have liked to see a criminal prosecution.

"This doesn't surprise me. Nobody's taken responsibility for the deaths of seven people, including my boy, and I don't expect anybody to," he said. "They die at these refineries, and they'll continue to die."

___

Follow Gene Johnson at https://twitter.com/GeneAPseattle .

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Lindor Reynolds speaks candidly about life with terminal cancer

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Goslings enjoy Fridays warm weather to soak up some sun and gobble some grass on Heckla Ave in Winnipeg Friday afternoon- See Bryksa’s 30 DAY goose challenge - May 18, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A  young goose stuffed with bread from  St Vital park passers-by takes a nap in the shade Thursday near lunch  –see Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge Day 29-June 28, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Are you still on the Bombers' and Jets' bandwagons?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google