The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Alberta budgets extra $5M to speed up mental health services for children

  • Print

CALGARY - Alberta is putting up $5 million for children facing mental health crises to get help right away, Human Services Minister Manmeet Bhullar announced Monday.

"If a child is dealing with trauma in the child intervention system, I want that child to receive assistance as soon as possible," Bhullar told a news conference.

"Trauma is so difficult for any human being to deal with. And if you're a child and you have to come into the care of the child intervention system, man, that's one of the toughest things of all."

More than $1 million is to be given to three care agencies — in Red Deer, Edmonton, and Calgary — to hire staff and improve services so that children and youth deemed to be in acute distress can be seen and counselled right away.

The agency resources are to include overnight care.

The province also plans to work with existing mental-health professionals, including counsellors and psychologists, to allow for children in care to get up to eight counselling or treatment sessions right away.

Bhullar said that is meant to address a critical lag period of up to three months children face from the time they can be assessed to the time they get help.

A discussion by experts held last week in Edmonton included issues about children in care.

The $5 million will also be used to:

— Provide better access to mental-health specialists for children who have experienced physical, mental, or sexual abuse.

— Give child intervention staff instant access to clinical and medical consultation so they can better recommend treatment or medications.

— Give more training and support to caregivers who are looking after children with mental-health issues.

Bhullar said coaching is key.

"It's vital that foster parents and other caregivers have the proper training and support they need to help them through these difficult times."

The plan is to have the changes in place by the end of March.

Bhullar has said he wants action to address the root causes of problems with children in care, including mental health issues.

He has also promised changes to ensure that more information gets out to the public on any deaths of children while they are in care.

Bhullar took over the portfolio last month, just weeks after a Postmedia newspaper series detailed organizational dysfunction within the foster-care system and revealed that the province had not publicly reported the deaths of 89 children in government care since 1999.

— By Dean Bennett in Edmonton

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Maurice Leggett on his three interceptions vs. Alouettes

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • A young goose gobbles up grass at Fort Whyte Alive Monday morning- Young goslings are starting to show the markings of a adult geese-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 20– June 11, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Does Canada need a national inquiry into the disproportionately high number of missing and murdered aboriginal women?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google