Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/10/2010 (2400 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Grieving local country star speaks out
A well-known singer in Canadian country music who was the only survivor of a crash that killed his wife and four others earlier this month is speaking out for the first time.
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority sent a statement from Errol Ranville to various media outlets on Thursday.
Ranville, 57, thanks family, friends, fans and the media for respecting his privacy and says that he is making funeral arrangements to bury his wife, Marcie.
He and his wife were near The Pas when his vehicle collided head-on with another carrying four people on Oct. 8. Ranville was airlifted to Winnipeg, where he remains in hospital.
Military apologizes to soldier's family
OTTAWA -- Canada's chief of defence staff has apologized to the family of a soldier who committed suicide.
Walt Natynczyk acknowledged Thursday the military could have done a better job of handling the case of Cpl. Stuart Langridge. The Bosnia and Afghanistan veteran suffered from post traumatic stress disorder and committed suicide two years ago.
His mother Sheila Fynes held a news conference in Ottawa Thursday, saying the military never gave her son proper medical treatment. She also said the military waited 14 months before telling her about a suicide note her son wrote.
More red flags in aircraft purchases
OTTAWA -- An internal Defence Department audit has raised red flags about another major aircraft purchase that's failed to get off the ground.
In a report likely to add more fuel to the fire over the multibillion-dollar military helicopter mess and the purchase of stealth fighters, the department's Chief of Review Services found oversight lacking in the $3-billion Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue project. The plan to buy 15 rescue planes has been kicking around the federal government for nearly a decade, with little to show for it.
Murray apologizes for tweet -- again
TORONTO -- The tangled tale of the twisted tweet finally came to an end at the Ontario legislature Thursday with a straightforward apology from a rookie cabinet minister.
Innovation Minister and former Winnipeg mayor Glen Murray again said he was sorry for a tweet that called Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Ontario PC Leader Tim Hudak and Toronto mayor-elect Rob Ford bigots.
This time Murray did not add any qualifiers that suggested, as he did in previously, that Tories are anti-gay.
"Sometimes we do things that are regrettable," Murray said. "I have apologized over the last two days in every way I can imagine, unqualified. I regret my remarks..."
That's all the Opposition was looking for, said Hudak.
-- From the news services