Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Artists pen song for Alberta flood
As residents clean-up and rebuild from the flooding that has swamped Calgary and other parts of Alberta, a Canadian artist has created what he hopes will become an unofficial anthem of the flood of 2013.
Hell or High Water was a phrase that was bandied about social media in reference to the possibility the Calgary Stampede might not go ahead because of flood damage. The phrase soon took off in Calgary and adorned T-shirts for Stampede flood relief.
The catchphrase has now become something of a slogan for flood relief for the entire province -- and the title for a song done by Canadian musician Marc Martel and a group of local artists in Calgary.
"As a songwriter, I'm honoured to be contributing to this year's Stampede in the best way I know how," said Nashville-based Martel, who is also a Juno award winner and performer at the 2013 Stampede.
"I think the people of southern Alberta are ready for a reason to celebrate in the aftermath of the flood."
The song can be downloaded free at: www.CalgaryStampede.com/highwatersong.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 2, 2013 A10
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 10 articles for today)10:22 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- WestJet plane lands safely in Toronto after reporting engine trouble
- Sweeping report released on Toronto police encounters with those in crisis
- Cdn activists to lug jugs of water to Detroit in H2O march to help residents
- Calgary man reunited with his beloved little red Corvette named Betsy
- Fox gets famous after photographed sleeping aboard Ottawa city bus
- Man with air gun arrested at pro-Israel rally held at Calgary Jewish centre
- Canadian-Egyptian journalist, Al-Jazeera colleagues did the 'devil's' job: judge
- Charities may be asked for donor lists under CRA proposal floated by minister
- Defence minister to deploy frigate to Mediterranean for ongoing NATO mission
- Restrictions on transporting firearms to be eased under federal proposal
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Calgary police finish looking for evidence in missing couple's home
Ads by Google