The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

B.C. apologizes for past discriminatory policies towards Chinese Canadians

  • Print

VICTORIA - Shui Lee endured decades of intolerance and racism in Canada just because he is Chinese, but on Thursday the 58-year-old restaurant owner said he is finally proud to be both Canadian and Chinese.

With tears in his eyes and holding the 1914 head-tax document belonging to his great, great grandfather, Lee described what British Columbia's formal apology for racist and discriminatory government policies against Chinese immigrants means to him.

"When I walk out this door today, I feel so proud that I can put my head up and I tell everybody I'm proud to be Canadian," he said. "I can be proud to be Chinese."

Lee, a Kelowna, B.C., restaurant owner, said he often argued with friends, relatives and others about what he considered Canada's racist and intolerant laws and policies towards Chinese immigrants, but was told not to rock the boat.

"They don't want to apologize to you," he said he was told. "But I prove it today, they are wrong. The government did apologize to us. And they admit they were wrong."

Premier Christy Clark formally apologized for more than 100 racist laws, regulations and policies imposed starting over 140 years ago against Chinese immigrants, calling them a stain on the province's history.

"While the governments which passed these laws and polices acted in a manner that was lawful at the time, today this racist discrimination is seen by British Columbians — represented by all members in this legislative assembly — as unacceptable and intolerable," she said in the legislature.

"We believe this formal apology is required to ensure that closure can be reached on this dark period in our province's history," she said Thursday.

"The legislative assembly's apology today signifies our deepest regret for the hardship and suffering our past provincial governments imposed on Chinese Canadians."

Lee said his great, great grandfather paid a $500 head tax to enter Canada, but Yick Lee was prevented from bringing his family to Canada by federal anti-Chinese immigration laws

The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1923 banned their immigration to Canada. Yick Lee was separated from his family until after 1947, when the law was repealed.

Shui Lee said his welcome to Canada in 1969 was anything but friendly.

"The first day when I go to school someone grabbed a rock and smashed my forehead," he said. "They said, 'go home. Go back where you came from.' They spit on my face."

Lee said he was crushed to his core.

"I feel why am I coming here?" he said. "I hate myself. I don't want to be Chinese anymore. I lost my dignity. I feel shame to myself. But today, I finally, say thank you B.C. government."

Thousands of Chinese immigrants arrived in Canada starting in the 1880s to help build the country's railway, but starting in 1885, the federal government imposed a head tax of $50, which rose to $500 by the early 1900s.

"Those first immigrants who were made to pay to come here made some of the biggest contributions," Clark said.

"For every mile of track between Vancouver and Calgary one Chinese worker died."

The apology, which does not include compensation, came after extensive public consultations that began last year and involved all provincial parties.

The Liberal government tabled its Chinese Historical Wrongs Consultation Final Report and Recommendations as part of its year-long development of the formal apology.

The report includes a recommendation for $1 million legacy funding to co-ordinate initiatives to celebrate the contributions of Chinese Canadians to British Columbia's social, economic, spiritual and cultural history.

In 2006, the federal government offered an apology for the head tax and included $20,000 in compensation for families or survivors who paid the tax.

The Chinese Canadian National Council, which monitors racism against Chinese-Canadians, said it could not accept B.C.'s apology without some form of redress for people and families who paid the head tax.

The council said the federal government collected a total of $23 million from the head tax levies, of which about $8.5 million was transferred back to B.C., which converts to about $1 billion today.

"What we're looking for is a symbolic return of these funds back to the head-tax families who paid it," said CCCN spokesman Victor Wong.

The apology was also endorsed by the Opposition New Democrats, the Green party, and Independent members of the legislature.

The apology was set to be introduced last year, but the Liberal government delayed the ceremony due to a political scandal involving misuse of government resources and plans to manipulate ethnic votes through public apologies for long-standing historic wrongs.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Shots ring out as police say armed threat "resolved"

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • JOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Local-(  Standup photo)-    A butterfly looks for nector on a lily Tuesday afternoon in Wolseley-JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS- June 22, 2010
  • June 25, 2013 - 130625  -  A storm lit up Winnipeg Tuesday, June 25, 2013. John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press - lightning

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Will higher pork prices change your grocery-shopping habits?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google