Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Big-name investors eye asteroid mining?
A cryptic news release issued last week suggested a blockbuster team of investors -- including Google Inc. co-founder Larry Page and Canadian filmmaker James Cameron -- are set to back a space-exploration venture that could have plans to mine asteroids.
The release contained few details of the team's plans but suggested more would be revealed this morning during a news conference at Seattle's Museum of Flight.
"The company will overlay two critical sectors -- space exploration and natural resources -- to add trillions of dollars to the global GDP," the release said, adding the startup would "create a new industry and new definition of 'natural resources.' "
Plans for the company, to be called Planetary Resources Inc., will be unveiled by space entrepreneurs Peter Diamandis and Eric Anderson, along with NASA scientists and astronauts Chris Lewicki and Tom Jones, the release said.
In addition to Page and the exploration-minded Cameron, investors and advisers in the company include Google chairman Eric Schmidt, former Microsoft Corp. chief software architect Charles Simonyi and Ross Perot Jr., son of the well-known U.S. businessman.
The release, apparently circulated last Wednesday, got many speculating on what the company's purpose would be.
MIT's Technology Review and Discover Magazine's Bad Astronomy blog both suggested it could be asteroid mining.
-- Postmedia News, with files from Reuters
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 24, 2012 A5
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 11 articles for today)10:44 AM 0
TORONTO - Air Canada is resuming flights to Tel Aviv after a two-day halt prompted by security concerns over rocket ...
Photo Store Gallery
- WestJet plane lands safely in Toronto after reporting engine trouble
- Sweeping report released on Toronto police encounters with those in crisis
- Cdn activists to lug jugs of water to Detroit in H2O march to help residents
- Calgary man reunited with his beloved little red Corvette named Betsy
- Fox gets famous after photographed sleeping aboard Ottawa city bus
- Man with air gun arrested at pro-Israel rally held at Calgary Jewish centre
- Canadian-Egyptian journalist, Al-Jazeera colleagues did the 'devil's' job: judge
- Charities may be asked for donor lists under CRA proposal floated by minister
- Defence minister to deploy frigate to Mediterranean for ongoing NATO mission
- Restrictions on transporting firearms to be eased under federal proposal
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Calgary police finish looking for evidence in missing couple's home
Ads by Google