The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Budget slashing at DND brings military back to 2007 spending levels: analyst

  • Print

OTTAWA - Years of budget-cutting at National Defence has removed as much as $30 billion from the Harper government's original defence strategy, smudging much of the spit and polish on its claims of investing in the military, a defence economist says.

The cumulative impact of the government's strategic review, deficit reduction plan and postponement of capital purchases means the department is actually going backwards in terms of spending, said Dave Perry, a senior analyst at the Conference of Defence Associations Institute.

"As a result, adjusting for inflation, the Department of National Defence will spend less money this year than it did in 2007," Perry, who has conducted an exhaustive analysis of the numbers, told his organization's annual forum on Friday.

"This means that the defence budget is now lower than it was before the Canada First Defence Strategy was launched."

Perry compared the figures with the numbers laid out in the government's watershed 2008 strategy.

What's more, operating budget freezes — imposed four years ago and renewed in Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's latest fiscal plan — are "siphoning off an additional $9 billion in operations and maintenance funds to cover rising personnel costs," Perry said.

It's a startling assessment, one that contrasts sharply with the upbeat view Defence Minister Rob Nicholson presented to same conference earlier in the day when he trumpeted the government's investments and declared it had built a first-class, modern military.

Public Works Minister Diane Finley echoed that theme when it was her turn to speak about the newly released plan to improve the speed and accountability of big-ticket defence purchases.

The often-hyped Canada First Defence Strategy, launched in 2008, was meant to provide "stable and predictable funding" to a military the Conservatives said had been starved for cash under the Liberals.

It promised a two per cent annual increase in funding after 2011, but the economic crisis got in the way. And while defence still gets a cost escalator in its budget, the increase is more than offset by cuts elsewhere, Perry said.

Nicholson promised a rewritten version of the defence strategy would be released this year, but he wouldn't say when.

The country's top military commander, meanwhile, was mum Friday on what the details of the update might look like. Last November, Gen. Tom Lawson suggested that cuts to the size of the regular force, now numbering 68,000, might be part of the discussion.

Lawson wouldn't say whether that discussion was still in play. He was also circumspect about whether the military would keep all of its current capability — or be forced to give up something.

"The goal that we will seek is to maintain the majority, if not all of our capabilities," he said.

While NATO is in the throes of discussions about how to share things like drones, cargo aircraft and transport ships, Lawson said Canada's geographic isolation from Europe argues for ensuring the country's military remain as independent as possible.

Sharing resources and capabilities in a time of prolonged budget austerity was a theme pushed during the conference Thursday by Britain's defence chief, Gen. Sir Nick Houghton.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

In the Key of Bart: Can’t It Be Nice This Time?

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • MIKE APORIUS/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS BUSINESS - cow on farm owned by cattle farmer Lloyd Buchanan near Argyle Wednesday afternoon -see Larry Kusch's story  January 04/2006
  • Perfect Day- Paul Buteux walks  his dog Cassie Tuesday on the Sagimay Trail in Assiniboine Forest enjoying a almost perfect  fall day in Winnipeg- Standup photo – September 27, 2011   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Now that the snow is mostly gone, what are your plans?

View Results

Ads by Google