Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Kent looks lost in shuffle
OTTAWA -- Environment Minister Peter Kent seems to be preparing for a demotion to the backbenches in the federal cabinet shuffle expected as early as next week.
In a posting on his Facebook page, Kent says political life doesn't focus on a cabinet seat.
Returning to the ranks of regular MPs would bring its own challenges, he says.
The former news broadcaster says he will run again in the 2015 election whether or not he is a minister.
He says there are many talented MPs in the Conservative caucus and it may be time to make room for younger blood around the cabinet table.
Kent, who will turn 70 later this month, was first elected in 2008.
Elephants unlikely to fly
TORONTO -- There seems to be no flying on the horizon for three aging elephants at Toronto's zoo.
Plans to transport the animals to a sanctuary in California by plane have stalled for months and now zoo officials are considering moving them by ground.
The new plan would see Toka, Thika and Iringa travel to the PAWS Wildlife Sanctuary near Sacramento, Calif., on trucks.
Julie Woodyer of Zoocheck Canada -- a national zoo watchdog -- says the trip would last about 50 hours, with several stops for refuelling and check-ups.
She says at least two veterinarians and six handlers would be accompanying the elephants on their journey.
The preliminary plan has been presented to the CEO of the Toronto Zoo for approval and will then be sent to city hall.
Toronto City Council voted in 2011 to send the three elephants to the U.S. facility after groups voiced concern about the animals' welfare.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 6, 2013 A21
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 38 articles for today)5:48 PM 0
VANCOUVER - A new report says research-and-rescue work on dolphins and whales at the Vancouver Aquarium could suffer if the ...
Photo Store Gallery
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Can you keep a secret? Edmonton couple reveals $50M lotto win after 7 months
- Protesters denounce Israeli offensive in Gaza, call on Harper to support peace
- Canada's border agency had thousands of outdated lookout flags in system
- Death of a Quebec mayor from insect stings underscores need to be prepared
- List of charities undergoing tax audits related to political activities
- Fruit from California recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
- Suspect in Calgary stabbings sent to mental hospital for assessment
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
Ads by Google