The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Canada imposes sanctions against Russia over crisis in Ukraine: Harper
OTTAWA - Ottawa says it is imposing economic sanctions on 16 more Russian "entities" over that country's actions in Ukraine.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement Sunday saying Russia's "illegal occupation of Ukraine and provocative military activity" remains a serious concern.
Harper says the latest measures should increase the economic pressure on Russia and "those responsible for the crisis in Ukraine."
In the last couple of months, the Harper government has imposed a number of political and economic sanctions against senior officials and some institutions in Russia and Ukraine.
Ottawa has expelled a Russian diplomat, co-sponsored a UN resolution on the crisis and earmarked $220 million to help stabilize the Ukrainian economy.
Canada has also said it will send six CF-18 fighter-bombers to join a NATO air police mission.
"We remain committed to working with our allies to preserve and promote a free, democratic and peaceful world, and will take further actions if Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity continues to be threatened," Harper said.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 10 articles for today)10:22 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- WestJet plane lands safely in Toronto after reporting engine trouble
- Sweeping report released on Toronto police encounters with those in crisis
- Cdn activists to lug jugs of water to Detroit in H2O march to help residents
- Calgary man reunited with his beloved little red Corvette named Betsy
- Fox gets famous after photographed sleeping aboard Ottawa city bus
- Man with air gun arrested at pro-Israel rally held at Calgary Jewish centre
- Canadian-Egyptian journalist, Al-Jazeera colleagues did the 'devil's' job: judge
- Charities may be asked for donor lists under CRA proposal floated by minister
- Defence minister to deploy frigate to Mediterranean for ongoing NATO mission
- Restrictions on transporting firearms to be eased under federal proposal
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Calgary police finish looking for evidence in missing couple's home
Ads by Google