Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Canadians arrested, held in Cairo prison
TORONTO -- A friend of two Canadians who were arrested in Cairo says consular staff told him the pair were fine but still hadn't heard if they were being charged.
Justin Podur said Canadian consular staff told him they had seen Toronto-based filmmaker and York University professor John Greyson and Tarek Loubani, an emergency room doctor in London, Ont. The pair were being held in a Cairo prison.
The two Canadians were in Egyptian capital en route to Gaza when they were arrested by police amid the deadly turmoil affecting the country's capital, said Podur, who is a friend and colleague of both men.
Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Caitlin Workman confirmed two Canadians have been arrested and says Canada's embassy in Cairo is in contact with local authorities and is providing consular assistance.
Lynne Yelich, the minister of state for consular affairs, issued a statement Sunday evening saying she was very concerned about the arrests and has demanded more information.
"I spoke with a senior Egyptian official to request confirmation of the nature of the charges and call for all evidence against the two Canadians be released," the statement said.
Podur said that consular staff informed him they would be checking on the two Canadians again today.
Podur says Western University in London, Ont., has a collaboration program bringing doctors to Gaza to train doctors there and advance cardiac and trauma life support.
He says Greyson was travelling to explore the possibility of making a documentary about Al Shifa hospital in Gaza.
The two men arrived in Cairo on Aug. 15 but their journey to Gaza was delayed due to unrest.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 19, 2013 A12
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 12 articles for today)11:03 AM 0
VANCOUVER - A critically ill false killer whale calf rescued off a beach on the west coast of Vancouver Island ...
Photo Store Gallery
- WestJet plane lands safely in Toronto after reporting engine trouble
- Sweeping report released on Toronto police encounters with those in crisis
- Cdn activists to lug jugs of water to Detroit in H2O march to help residents
- Calgary man reunited with his beloved little red Corvette named Betsy
- Fox gets famous after photographed sleeping aboard Ottawa city bus
- Man with air gun arrested at pro-Israel rally held at Calgary Jewish centre
- Canadian-Egyptian journalist, Al-Jazeera colleagues did the 'devil's' job: judge
- Charities may be asked for donor lists under CRA proposal floated by minister
- Defence minister to deploy frigate to Mediterranean for ongoing NATO mission
- Restrictions on transporting firearms to be eased under federal proposal
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Calgary police finish looking for evidence in missing couple's home
Ads by Google