Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Colourful tribute to disaster victims

Lac-M©gantic marks sad anniversary

  • Print

LAC-MâGANTIC, Que. -- Final words for loved ones lost in a horrific train crash and messages of hope for the grieving survivors found their place on brightly coloured paper hearts a week after tragedy struck a small Quebec town.

Residents and their supporters laid bare their distress and sympathy in a rainbow-hued memorial erected inside the Lac-M©gantic church on Saturday as they gathered to mark the grim anniversary.

The town of roughly 6,000 has been flooded with grief since the derailment that is believed to have killed 50 people and left its town centre in ruins.

The official death toll in the tragedy rose to 33 Saturday after police said they had found five more bodies. Another 17 people are feared dead.

When the clock struck 1:14 a.m. on Saturday, it marked one week to the minute that an out-of-control caravan of rail tanker cars rumbled into town, jumped the tracks and exploded into searing balls of flame.

The Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway train had been parked for the night a few kilometres away on a steep grade. The engineer had left it unattended to get some shut-eye.

The explosion and fire triggered by the derailment incinerated much of Lac-M©gantic's downtown, which was dotted with historic buildings, homes and commercial outlets.

Daily news conferences to keep residents informed of developments in the recovery, along with the barely hidden rubble, have served as constant reminders of the tragedy.

People have been clamouring for an outlet for the sorrow that has gripped them since the crash, said Louise Bergeron, a volunteer with the Ste-Agnes parish.

"We really felt that need," she said in unveiling the memorial.

"People can come here and, for a moment, unload their suffering," she said.

Some left poignantly personal tributes to friends and relatives whose lives were suddenly cut short.

A well-worn Asics running shoe with a bright pink stripe held a photo of a grinning blond and a note that read, in French: "I'm happy they found you but unhappy that you left us so soon."

A few metres away, a framed portrait of a young woman dressed in a dark blue ballgown as she looked over her shoulder was simply labelled, "âlodie Turcotte, 18 years."

A bouquet of white roses and white-and-pink lilies was addressed to Kevin Roy, from his grandmother, Carmen.

Notes bearing support for the grieving community were plastered on a wall near the altar, many of them printed in a child's scribble. A pile of blank hearts sat on two card tables for those wishing to add their own words of comfort.

Bergeron said the memorial has attracted travellers from Trois-Rivi®res and Drummondville, both roughly 200 kilometres away.

"It's pretty extraordinary, the support we're getting," she said.

Many visitors stopped by the church at noon to hear the bells chime 50 times in memory of the victims. The chimes were followed by a minute of silence.

A solemn crowd filled the steps of the church while others stood watch from the sidewalk.

Many clutched each other's hands and leaned on their loved ones for support. Sobs could be heard between the chimes and several people wiped away tears. Young boys bowed their heads and held baseball caps to their chests.

As the last peals faded, a man released several white doves into the sky. The birds flew towards the battered town centre and disappeared from view.

"We had to come," said Jeanette Fortier, a Maine native who now lives near Sherbrooke.

She and her husband made the hour-long trek to take part in the tribute and witness with their own eyes the devastation that nearly claimed one of their own.

Her husband's nephew, Mirko Couture, owned a restaurant that was reduced to rubble that fateful night. Had he not closed up early, he would likely have been among those being remembered Saturday, she said.

Anyone who has lost a loved one shares the community's pain on some level, Fortier said.

"I think a lot of people in Quebec are feeling the same way as I am," she added.

A couple of hundred metres away, crews continued their grim search Saturday for human remains. They sifted through the ash and debris of what was once the bustling core of Lac-M©gantic.

A police spokesman said officers and firefighters who combed through the disaster zone faced difficult conditions due to the hot, humid weather and the toxic vapours that emanated from the crude-oil-soaked ground.

The human element of the job has also been taxing for searchers, he said. The workers stopped their hunt at noon to pay their respects as the church bells pealed nearby.

"It was a very intense moment, it was a very emotional moment," provincial police spokesman Michel Forget said of the minute of silence inside the perimeter.

"Police officers are actually mothers (and) fathers before they're police officers."

He predicts the "absolutely awful" conditions will prolong the search for weeks.

The massive criminal probe, meanwhile, is still underway.

Forget was asked why the chairman of the railway company at the centre of the investigations was not issued a permit to visit the area that was wiped out by his runaway train.

During a brief stop in town last week, Ed Burkhardt of MMA said he had hoped to visit the site, but that he was denied access.

Forget gave a short explanation for the denial: "Because he had no business there."

Lac-M©gantic's mayor was also asked about Burkhardt on Saturday. She fielded a question on why their scheduled meeting last week was cancelled.

Colette Roy-Laroche said that MMA called off the get-together without reason, about 30 minutes before they were supposed to meet.

-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 14, 2013 A5

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Downtown BIZ Watch patrol along Main Street

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A goose comes in for a landing Thursday morning through heavy fog on near Hyw 59 just north of Winnipeg - Day 17 Of Joe Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge - May 24, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Winnipeg’s best friend the dragon fly takes a break at English Gardens in Assiniboine Park Wednesday- A dragon fly can eat  food equal to its own weight in 30 minutes-Standup photo- June 13, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Are you concerned about the number of homicides so far this year?

View Results

Ads by Google