Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 4/6/2014 (1116 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
WASHINGTON -- The family of a pregnant American woman who went missing in Afghanistan in late 2012 with her Canadian husband received two videos last year in which the couple asked the U.S. government to help free them and their child from Taliban captors, The Associated Press has learned.
The videos offer the first and only clues about what happened to Caitlan Coleman and Joshua Boyle after they lost touch with their families 20 months ago while travelling in a mountainous region near the capital, Kabul. U.S. law enforcement officials investigating the couple's disappearance consider the videos authentic but say they hold limited investigative value since it's not clear when or where they were made.
The video files, which were provided to the AP, were emailed to Coleman's father last July and September by an Afghan man who identified himself as having ties to the Taliban but has been out of contact for several months. In one, a subdued Coleman -- dressed in a conservative black garment that covers all but her face -- appeals to "my president, Barack Obama" for help.
"I would ask that my family and my government do everything that they can to bring my husband, child and I to safety and freedom," the 28-year-old says in the other recording, talking into a wobbly camera while seated beside her husband, whose beard is long and untrimmed.
Though Coleman mentions a child, no baby is shown in the videos. The families say they have no information about the name or sex of the child, who would be about 18 months old.
The families decided to make the videos public in light of the publicity surrounding the weekend rescue of army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was freed from Taliban custody in exchange for the release of five high-level Taliban suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The families say they are disappointed their children and grandchild were not freed as part of the same deal but are appealing for help from anyone who can give it, including the couple's captors or the government.
"It would be no more appropriate to have our government turn their backs on their citizens than to turn their backs on those who serve," Patrick Boyle, a Canadian judge and the father of Joshua Boyle, said in a telephone interview.
U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf declined Wednesday to discuss specifics of the case because of privacy considerations.
Republicans in Congress have criticized the Bergdahl agreement and complained about not being consulted, though Obama has defended it, citing a "sacred" obligation to not leave men and women in uniform behind. Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., asked Obama in a letter this week why other Americans still in the custody of Afghan militants were not included in the negotiation. The families say their children, though without political or military ties to the government, are prisoners just as Bergdahl was and should be recognized as "innocent tourists" and not penalized further for venturing into dangerous territory.
"It's an event that just stands out. I think it cries to out to the world, 'This can't be. These people must be let go immediately,' " said James Coleman, Coleman's father.
Relatives describe the couple, who met online as teenagers and wed in 2011, as well-intentioned but naive adventure seekers. They once spent months travelling through Latin America, where they lived among indigenous Guatemalans and where Boyle grew a long beard that led some children to call him "Santa Claus." The couple set off again in the summer of 2012 for a journey that took them to Russia, the central Asian countries of Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan and then to Afghanistan.
"They really and truly believed that if people were loved and treated with respect that that would be given back to them in kind," said Linda Boyle, Boyle's mother. "So as odd it as it may seem to us that they were there, they truly believed with all their heart that if they treated people properly, they would be treated properly."
With plans to return home in December ahead of Coleman's due date, they checked in regularly via email during their travels -- expressing in their writings an awareness of the perils they faced.
The communication abruptly ended on Oct. 8, 2012, after Boyle emailed from an Internet café in what he called an "unsafe" part of Afghanistan. The last withdrawals from the couple's bank account were made Oct. 8 and 9 in Kabul. An Afghan official later told the AP the two had been abducted in Wardak Province, a rugged, mountainous Taliban haven.
New hope emerged last year when an Afghan man who said he had Taliban connections contacted James Coleman, offering first audio recordings and, later, the two email video files. Though the man said the recordings had been provided by the Taliban, he did not reveal what, if anything, the captors wanted and has not been in touch with the Colemans for months.
-- The Associated Press