The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Daughter of 'Real Housewives of Vancouver' star injured in shooting: report

  • Print

VANCOUVER - The daughter of "Real Housewives of Vancouver" star Jody Claman was among two people injured during a drive-by shooting in the city's east side, Global News reports.

Global said Mia Deakin, who was a frequent guest on the Canadian "Real Housewives" spinoff, was shot Sunday night at a gas station in Vancouver.

Vancouver police refused to confirm Deakin's identity, but a spokesman said a 28-year-old woman was hit in the shoulder while a 27-year-old man who was with her received minor injuries.

The shooting happened Sunday evening at about 7 p.m., said Sgt. Randy Fincham. The woman and man were standing outside their vehicle when someone in a grey or silver SUV pulled up and started firing, he said.

Fincham said the shooting "was not random," but he declined to speculate about the target or the motive.

Global cited an anonymous source who reportedly said the man, not Deakin, was believed to be the intended target.

Fincham said the woman underwent surgery for her injury and was in stable condition on Monday.

Deakin was a routine guest on "Real Housewives of Vancouver," which chronicled the daily lives of a group of wealthy socialites, which often descended into gossiping and arguments.

Lark Productions, which produced the show, released a brief statement expressing its concern for Deakin, who also uses her mother's surname, Claman, but offering no details about what happened.

"We are sorry to hear the news of the events of last night," said the statement, released Monday.

"We wish Mia a very speedy recovery and our thoughts are with the Claman family at this time."

Several former "Real Housewives" co-stars reacted to the news on Twitter.

"My heart goes out to the Claman family at this time," wrote Ronnie Negus. "Spoke to Jody several times last night. We are all praying."

Mary Zilba tweeted: "My prayers go out to @MiaClaman and her family tonight."

The show ran for two seasons on Slice.

Shaw Media, which owns Slice, announced last year that the show would not be returning for a third season as the company considered potential changes to the cast or location.

Meanwhile, Fincham said the 27-year-old man who was also injured fled the scene and was later located by police and taken to hospital. He had an outstanding warrant for driving while prohibited, said Fincham.

"He was cleared medically, released from the hospital and arrested by police," said Fincham.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Key of Bart - The Floodway Connection

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • June 25, 2013 - 130625  -  A storm lit up Winnipeg Tuesday, June 25, 2013. John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press - lightning
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should political leaders be highly visible on the frontlines of flood fights and other natural disasters?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google