Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
#Fail for our local politicians
During the Calgary flood, Mayor Naheed Nenshi proved (again) how deftly a smart politician can use Twitter. He was funny, personal, interactive and informative. Manitoba politicians could take a lesson. With the exception of Tory Leader Brian Pallister, who is a modestly decent tweeter, our key political leaders haven't quite joined the Twitterverse. Here's the state of affairs as of the end of July. It's mostly a #fail.
-- Mary Agnes Welch
Manitoba's 21st premier
Total tweets: 440
Tweets in July: 3
Number of tweets in July about boring government press releases: 1
Best tweet last month: Congratulations to Duke & Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of their son. All the best to you William & Kate #RoyalBaby #WelcometotheWorld
Who he follows: Canadian astronaut @Cmdr_Hadfield, @WpgBikeAlerts, former Winnipeg Blue Bombers coach @PaulLaPolice, author @MargaretAtwood, Winnipeg's @DJ_Hunnicutt
Total tweets: 0
Best tweet by another guy named Sam Katz: Reese's Puffs. Why do you always give me childish prizes
in the box? Is it because you think I'm a child or something? @the_samkatz27
Here for CANADA.
Total tweets: 0
Who follows her: @CdnLibraryNews, Winnipeg Art Gallery director @stephenborys, Manitoba Sen. @DonPlett, North End activist Michael Champagne who is also known as @northendmc
Husband, father, MLA for Fort Whyte, Leader of the Official Opposition. Standing up for Manitobans each and every day.
Total tweets: 258
Tweets in July: 16
What he tweets about: The "speNDP," his lonely love of the Detroit Red Wings, the Bill 20 committee hearings on the PST hike, various holiday wishes for Manitobans.
Best Tweet: I almost feel bad that the Premier had to cancel his summer vacation. Almost. #speNDP.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 3, 2013 D3
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 41 articles for today)7:29 PM 0
WHISTLER, B.C. - The Arctic may be a hot commodity, with remarkable resource and tourism opportunities, but a conference has ...
Photo Store Gallery
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Can you keep a secret? Edmonton couple reveals $50M lotto win after 7 months
- Protesters denounce Israeli offensive in Gaza, call on Harper to support peace
- Death of a Quebec mayor from insect stings underscores need to be prepared
- Canada's border agency had thousands of outdated lookout flags in system
- List of charities undergoing tax audits related to political activities
- Fruit from California recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
- Suspect in Calgary stabbings sent to mental hospital for assessment
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
Ads by Google