Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Fleury calls Canada 'Disneyland' for predators
TORONTO -- Former NHL star Theo Fleury is taking aim at Canada's justice system, saying the country's weak penalties for sexual abuse make it a "Disneyland for pedophiles."
The Stanley Cup and Olympic gold-medal-winning forward -- a longtime advocate for victims of sexual abuse -- has launched a new campaign demanding Ottawa beef up sentences for those convicted of abusing children.
Fleury, who was sexually abused by disgraced hockey coach Graham James while playing for him in the 1980s, said the justice system "re-victimizes" those who have suffered from child abuse by being too lenient on the perpetrators.
He's pushing for a minimum sentence of 15 years in prison for each count of sexual abuse, to be served consecutively.
He also wants legal repercussions for anyone who doesn't report incidents of sexual abuse.
The former Calgary Flame hopes to shore up support for the cause by walking from Toronto to Parliament Hill in Ottawa between May 14 and 23 of next year, an event he's dubbed the Victor Walk.
Aside from pressuring government, Fleury said the walk aims to raise money for groups and organizations that provide support for "victims, survivors (and) victors."
"I'm tired of people being re-victimized through the system and it absolutely has to stop," said Fleury, who considers child sexual abuse an "epidemic."
"I believe that my real legacy isn't hockey but the fight against child sexual abuse."
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 7, 2012 A18
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)3:01 AM 0
TORONTO - A former Supreme Court of Canada justice is to release a report today from his investigation into the ...
Photo Store Gallery
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
Ads by Google