Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Ford apology accepted

  • Print

TORONTO -- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has issued another apology and retracted comments he made about Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale in a televised interview.

"I wholly retract my statements and apologize to Mr. Dale without reservation for what I said," Ford said in a written statement Wednesday night.

Dale said he accepts Ford's apology, which he demanded last week in a libel notice that called on Ford to retract statements the reporter said amounted to accusing him of pedophilia.

The notice also called for the mayor to issue an "unreserved, abject, complete apology" of all false claims about what happened during an incident near Ford's house in May 2012.

"I won't be taking legal action against the mayor, and I'm looking forward to getting back to work," Dale said on Twitter.

"I sincerely appreciate Mayor Ford's complete retraction and unqualified apology, and I'm very glad the truth is no longer in dispute," Dale tweeted.

Dale said he wouldn't be commenting further, but added "the matter with VisionTV is still outstanding."

During an interview with Conrad Black, which aired Dec. 9 on VisionTV, Ford claimed Dale was in his backyard, "taking pictures of little kids."

"I am unaware of any pictures Mr. Dale took with his phone of land near my property, and therefore I apologize to Mr. Dale if the words I spoke to Mr. Black left the impression that Mr. Dale had taken pictures of my backyard," Ford said in his apology.

"Accordingly, I once again apologize to Mr. Dale for the imprecise and inaccurate manner in which I described the events which followed our encounter in May 2012."

In the interview with Black, Ford also said he caught Dale standing on cinderblocks taking pictures over his fence.

"This recollection of the incident is inaccurate in that I never saw Mr. Dale standing on bricks or cinderblocks, never saw Mr. Dale looking over my fence and never saw Mr. Dale taking any pictures," Ford's statement said.

"There was no basis for saying as I did on Dec. 17 and in the past that Mr. Dale was 'lurking' or 'leering' near or over my fence or behaving surreptitiously," Ford said in reference to an apology he made Tuesday in Toronto city council.

Dale had said Tuesday's apology didn't even come close to what he sought as it "blamed the media for its reasonable interpretation of his (Ford's) words."

The reporter has said he was writing a story about a plot of public land adjacent to Ford's house the mayor wanted to buy, so he went to take a look and the mayor emerged from his home to confront him. Dale has said at no time was he on the mayor's property, nor did he take any pictures.

 

-- The Canadian Press

 

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 19, 2013 A11

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Kevin Cheveldayoff announces Maurice contract extension

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Winnipeg’s best friend the dragon fly takes a break at English Gardens in Assiniboine Park Wednesday- A dragon fly can eat  food equal to its own weight in 30 minutes-Standup photo- June 13, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Water lilys are reflected in the pond at the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden Tuesday afternoon. Standup photo. Sept 11,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google