Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Anti-gay group gets federal funding
OTTAWA, Ont. -- An evangelical organization that described homosexuality as a "perversion" and a "sin" on its website is receiving funding from the Government of Canada for its work in Uganda, where gays and lesbians face severe threats.
The federal government has denounced virulent homophobia in that East African country and Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird has condemned plans for an anti-gay bill that could potentially include the death penalty for homosexuals.
At the same time the government is providing $544,813 in funding for Crossroads Christian Communications -- an Ontario-based evangelical group that produces television programming -- to help dig wells, build latrines and promote hygiene awareness in Uganda through 2014.
The organization is being funded by the Canadian International Development Agency. Spokeswoman Amy Mills said in an email: "Canada's views are clear -- we have been strongly opposed to the criminalization of homosexuality or violence against people on the basis of their sexual orientation." She offered no comment on Crossroads' views on homosexuality.
Boy dies under net
SAINT-SEVERIN, Que. -- A nine-year-old boy is dead after an accident at an outdoor rink in a small municipality northeast of Montreal.
Quebec provincial police say the boy was playing hockey alone at around 9 a.m. Saturday when a hockey net fell on top of him. Two municipal workers in Saint-Severin found the boy lying on the ice, underneath the net, police spokesman Daniel Thibaudeau said.
"They tried to help him but it was already too late," Thibaudeau said.
Quebec sets tan ban
MONTREAL -- Quebec is set to become the latest province to ban the use of tanning beds for people under the age of 18.
The legislation, designed to protect young people from skin cancer, takes effect today.
Research by the International Agency for Research on Cancer shows using indoor tanning equipment before age 35 significantly increases the risk of developing melanoma skin cancer.
British Columbia and Ontario are planning similar legislation, while Manitoba requires written parental consent before people under 18 can use a tanning bed.
Nova Scotia already bans people under 19 from using tanning beds.
France, Germany and Australia have also banned young people from using tanning beds.
Reward for ex-cop
LOS ANGELES -- Seeking leads in a massive manhunt, Los Angeles authorities on Sunday put up a $1-million reward for information leading to the arrest of Christopher Dorner, the former Los Angeles police officer suspected in three killings.
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced the reward at a news conference at Los Angeles Police Department headquarters.
"Hopefully, the reward will motivate people that may be involved with assisting him or might be reluctant to talk to us to call us and to put an end to this," Sgt. Rudy Lopez said ahead of the announcement.
Biggest croc dies
MANILA, Philippines -- The world's largest saltwater crocodile in captivity has died, moving villagers to tears in the backwater southern Philippine town that had started to draw tourists, revenue and development because of the immense reptile.
The crocodile had been blamed for deadly attacks on people before it was captured in 2011 and sent to live at an eco-tourism park that was built to house the giant. The reptile quickly became a star attraction of marshy Bunawan, a far-flung town in Agusan del Sur province about 830 kilometres southeast of Manila.
The one-ton croc flipped over with a bloated stomach Sunday and the veterinarian declared it dead a few hours later, Bunawan town Mayor Edwin Cox Elorde said. It had been estimated at more than 50 years old, Elorde said. Authorities will try to determine the cause of death.
-- from the news services
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 11, 2013 A9
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 42 articles for today)9:19 PM 0
CALGARY - A man said to be well known to police is in custody after trying to take an air ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Can you keep a secret? Edmonton couple reveals $50M lotto win after 7 months
- Protesters denounce Israeli offensive in Gaza, call on Harper to support peace
- Death of a Quebec mayor from insect stings underscores need to be prepared
- Canada's border agency had thousands of outdated lookout flags in system
- List of charities undergoing tax audits related to political activities
- Fruit from California recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
- Canada deports 20 members of Hungarian human trafficking syndicate
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
Ads by Google