Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Mall rescue called off, then ordered back on

Province intervenes in search for survivors

  • Print

ELLIOT LAKE, Ont. -- The search for survivors at a collapsed mall in this northern Ontario city was to resume after a late-night appeal Monday from Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty.

The turnabout came just hours after the search efforts were called off because it was deemed too dangerous to send crews inside.

Rescuers told a news conference a plan is in the works to get back inside.

McGuinty told The Canadian Press Monday night he asked that any other options be considered, including using heavy equipment to dismantle the building from the outside.

The premier said if a member of his family or close friend were inside, he would want "no stone left unturned," and the province owes it to the families and community to give it the best shot.

At least two people were believed inside after a parking lot on the roof of the Algo Centre Mall crashed two floors down into the mall below on Saturday. On Monday afternoon, rescuers said they detected "signs of life."

One person has been confirmed killed.

Ontario Provincial Police Insp. Percy Jollymore said officers are still trying to determine how many others are missing.

A list of names submitted by concerned citizens has been fluctuating dramatically since the accident, he said, adding at least two have remained constant.

"We do have two names of people who are known to be in the mall," Jollymore said. "Their names have never disappeared on the list."

Earlier in the day, personal vigils gave way to outraged protests after officials announced they were halting efforts to rescue possible survivors.

Dozens of angry community members gathered outside city hall to express their disgust that officials had walked away from a rescue effort they deemed too dangerous.

"Rescue missions never end, save our families, save our friends," chanted the protesters, adding efforts to recover survivors had gone on for days in the wake of high-profile tragedies.

Residents of the former mining hub said abandoning trapped comrades would be unthinkable in miners' culture, speculating volunteer mineworkers should take up the rescue themselves.

The mall's owner also announced they were seeking a court injunction against the decision to halt the rescue.

"Our hopes and prayers are with the families of those affected by this tragedy," Rhonda Bear of Eastwood Mall Inc. said in an email to The Canadian Press.

Bill Needles of the Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Team had said earlier Monday that crews were facing the threat of a secondary collapse within the fragile structure.

The section of shopping mall levelled when part of the roof came crashing down Saturday became increasingly unstable as crews sifted through the rubble, he said.

Early Monday, concerned community members gathered at the mall to learn the fate of their loved ones and offer support to those awaiting word.

"We're all trying to remain positive that everyone's going to come out of there and be fine," said Catherine Timleck-Shaw.

"We've all banded together. We talk, we hug. We're just here together."

-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 26, 2012 A8

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Total Body Tune-Up: Glute Bridge

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A  young goose stuffed with bread from  St Vital park passers-by takes a nap in the shade Thursday near lunch  –see Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge Day 29-June 28, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Local- A large osprey lands in it's nest in a hydro pole on Hyw 59  near the Hillside Beach turnoff turn off. Osprey a large narrow winged hawk which can have a wingspan of over 54 inches are making a incredible recovery since pesticide use of the 1950's and  1960's- For the last two decades these fish hawks have been reappearing in the Lake Winnipeg area- Aug 03, 2005

View More Gallery Photos


Do agree with the EPC's decision to release construction company Stuart Olson from its hotel-building obligation?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google