The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Man accused of killing three Mounties to undergo psychiatric assessment

  • Print
Justin Bourque is shown in a courtroom sketch in Moncton, N.B. on Thrusday July 3, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Carol Taylor

Enlarge Image

Justin Bourque is shown in a courtroom sketch in Moncton, N.B. on Thrusday July 3, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Carol Taylor

MONCTON, N.B. - A young man charged with fatally shooting three RCMP officers and wounding two others in Moncton, N.B., last month will return to court July 31 after undergoing a psychiatric assessment.

Justin Bourque, 24, is facing three first-degree murder charges and two counts of attempted murder. He has not entered pleas on the charges.

Judge Irwin Lambert said he received from the defence on Thursday an affidavit signed by Victor Bourque, the accused's father, outlining why he believed a psychiatric assessment was justified.

Bourque did not speak during his brief appearance Thursday in Moncton provincial court, but his lawyer, David Lutz, said he was making the request for a psychiatric assessment after speaking to his client's father.

"I have met extensively with the father and to a lesser degree with the mother," said Lutz. "I'm aware of the circumstances that led up to this horrific incident and I feel based upon my experience that this is an appropriate case (for an assessment), based on the content of the affidavit."

Lutz did not elaborate on his remarks and would not comment outside court.

The Crown agreed to the defence request to send Bourque for a psychiatric assessment, which will be conducted at the Shepody Healing Centre in Dorchester, N.B.

Bourque, who wore a grey T-shirt that hung off his slight frame, glanced into the public gallery a couple of times where members of his family sat while he was in court.

Constables Dave Ross, Fabrice Gevaudan and Douglas Larche were gunned down after responding to a report of a man with firearms in a residential neighbourhood on June 4. Two other RCMP officers — constables Eric Dubois and Darlene Goguen — were wounded and later released from hospital.

The shootings and ensuing manhunt brought the city to a standstill until an arrest was made about 30 hours later.

Lutz, a senior New Brunswick lawyer, recently confirmed that he has been retained to represent Bourque.

The 71-year-old lawyer from Hampton, N.B., has practised law in New Brunswick since 1977, handling 35 murder trials during that time.

Members of Bourque's family declined to speak after Thursday's hearing.

Outside court, a friend of the Bourques said she came to support the family.

"I think I wanted more answers which might come along after this evaluation," said Mireille Thibeault, who has family living on the same street as the Bourques in Moncton. "Like everyone else, just to know what triggered this to happen. It's a very sad, sad thing to happen."

She said the family is having a difficult time.

"It's extremely hard on them, it's a lot to deal with," Thibeault added. "It changes your life, it changes the whole course of how you're living your life, it changes in an instant. It's tough."

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Maurice Leggett on his three interceptions vs. Alouettes

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • An American White Pelican takes flight from the banks of the Red River in Lockport, MB. A group of pelicans is referred to as a ‘pod’ and the American White Pelican is the only pelican species to have a horn on its bill. May 16, 2012. SARAH O. SWENSON / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Local- A large osprey lands in it's nest in a hydro pole on Hyw 59  near the Hillside Beach turnoff turn off. Osprey a large narrow winged hawk which can have a wingspan of over 54 inches are making a incredible recovery since pesticide use of the 1950's and  1960's- For the last two decades these fish hawks have been reappearing in the Lake Winnipeg area- Aug 03, 2005

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should panhandling at intersections be banned?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google