Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 19/7/2013 (1045 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
MONTREAL -- Paul McCartney is reaching out to those affected by the Lac-M©gantic train disaster, giving free tickets to his Quebec City show to the survivors.
The rock legend is also expected to address the survivors in attendance at next week's show.
"We've been told that Paul McCartney will say something about Lac-M©gantic during his concert but we don't know yet what he'll say exactly," said Rachel Dupuis, a spokeswoman for concert promoter 3 E Event, Experience, Emotion.
The idea was floated to McCartney's team by promoter 3 E at the beginning of the week. The former Beatle's entourage quickly agreed.
"We want to give a moment of respite, a few hours of pleasure which will perhaps take their minds off the tragedy into which they have been plunged in the last two weeks," said Daniel Gelinas, director general of 3 E in a statement released Friday.
The offer was communicated to Lac-M©gantic Mayor Colette Roy-Laroche earlier this week and the promoters said municipal officials appreciated the gesture of support.
The exact number of tickets isn't yet known but organizers expect it to be about 1,000.
Meanwhile, True North Sports & Entertainment announced on-campus parking passes for the Aug. 12 McCartney concert at Investors Group Field are now on sale at ticketmaster.ca and retail outlets. The passes are $20 each.
-- The Canadian Press