Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Mine dangers clear to soldiers, Watts trial told
CALGARY -- The dangers of the Claymore anti-personnel mine were made abundantly clear to soldiers at an Afghanistan training range before an accident that killed a young corporal, a court martial heard Thursday.
Two witnesses at the hearing for Calgary reservist Maj. Darryl Watts testified Warrant Officer Paul Ravensdale, the range safety officer, had stressed the possible consequences of using the C19.
"He was clear about the duties when handling it. He gave a very thorough briefing with the C19," said Master Cpl. Scott Lawrence, a medic who was on the range, four kilometres north of Kandahar city, on Feb. 13, 2010.
"He was clear about soldiers being back behind the (firing) lanes."
Cpl. Josh Baker, 24, died when the explosive device, packed with 700 steel balls, raked a Canadian Forces platoon. He was struck four times and one of the steel balls penetrated his chest.
Four other soldiers were also wounded.
A video taken during the fatal blast appears to show Watts and a number of other soldiers directly in the line of fire when the C19 exploded.
"We were supposed to be behind the lanes," said Cpl. Nathan Armstrong, who prepared one of the Claymores prior to the blast.
"I would say no. I don't believe we are (behind cover). I believe we are in the open there," he said as the video was shown a second time.
The prosecution alleges Watts allowed his men to practise with the C19 without any proper training and with "wanton, reckless disregard."
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 16, 2012 A17
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 11 articles for today)9:20 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Canada's border agency had thousands of outdated lookout flags in system
- Protesters denounce Israeli offensive in Gaza, call on Harper to support peace
- Canada deports 20 members of Hungarian human trafficking syndicate
- Can you keep a secret? Edmonton couple reveals $50M lotto win after 7 months
- List of charities undergoing tax audits related to political activities
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- Quebec woman who stopped for ducks appeals conviction
- Suspect in Calgary stabbings sent to mental hospital for assessment
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- 'It's tough;' son of missing Calgary grandfather speaks after court
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
Ads by Google