Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
More kids added in poisoning probe
KITCHENER, Ont. -- An Ontario woman accused of poisoning two young kids in her care has now been charged in the alleged poisonings of six babies and toddlers, including a newborn, as well as an adult.
Police said Friday the new charges come as a result of their investigation into the woman, who ran a home daycare in Kitchener, Ont., from 2009 to 2011.
With the new charges, she is now accused in the alleged poisonings of eight children and a 32-year-old adult, all residents of Kitchener, or Guelph, Ont.
Police allege a suspect gave them an over-the-counter eye care product containing tetrahydrozoline that if ingested can cause abnormal drowsiness, low blood pressure, respiratory problems and decreased heart rates, especially in young children.
They said the new incidents occurred in the last several years and involved children between the ages of one day old and two years old. Police said they were discovered after the first two incidents came to their attention when a child in her care got sick in March.
Police spokeswoman Alana Holton said only that some of the new alleged poisonings occurred with children under the woman's care, while others did not. She said investigators believe there may be more victims.
Holton said police won't divulge just how the eye drops allegedly poisoned the children and adult, adding such details will only be released in court.
Christine Allen, 32, is now accused of nine counts each of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and administering a noxious substance.
She's due in court on Nov. 1.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 19, 2013 A24
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 42 articles for today)9:19 PM 0
CALGARY - A man said to be well known to police is in custody after trying to take an air ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Can you keep a secret? Edmonton couple reveals $50M lotto win after 7 months
- Death of a Quebec mayor from insect stings underscores need to be prepared
- List of charities undergoing tax audits related to political activities
- Canada deports 20 members of Hungarian human trafficking syndicate
- Canada's border agency had thousands of outdated lookout flags in system
- Fruit from California recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
- Protesters denounce Israeli offensive in Gaza, call on Harper to support peace
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
Ads by Google