Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Online video of killing nets charge
EDMONTON -- Police have charged the owner of a website that posted a grisly video at the centre of the Luka Magnotta murder case.
Mark Marek, who operates bestgore.com, faces one count of corrupting morals.
Edmonton police allege Magnotta sent Marek the video last year and Marek posted it online while knowing that it depicted a real killing.
Magnotta is to stand trial in September 2014 for the murder and dismemberment of Chinese university student Jun Lin in Montreal last year. Parts of Lin's body were mailed across Canada. Magnotta has pleaded not guilty.
Marek, who remains in custody, appeared briefly in court Wednesday and was scheduled to make another appearance today.
Before he was charged, a statement that appeared on the 38-year-old's website said he was going to meet with police for an interview and expected he might be arrested.
"It may sound strange, but at this point in my life, jail doesn't sound all that unattractive," said the statement. "I wouldn't mind taking a break from the world... I've dedicated my life to fight against evil and lies, and I know that God and truth are on my side.
"I do not fear the servants of Satan. One way or another, my life will end one day, and so will theirs."
Staff Sgt. Bill Clark with the Edmonton homicide unit said the investigation was long and complex because Marek was "very elusive," with no home address and had been out of the country.
The charge carries a maximum two-year prison term.
Clark said investigators didn't originally have the evidence they needed to charge Marek. The staff sergeant explained police needed evidence of three things before they could do so: that Marek knowingly and willingly posted the video, that he did so while in Canada and that he was the site's owner and operator at the time.
Marek could face more charges.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 18, 2013 A11
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 13 articles for today)9:49 AM 0
CALGARY - Alberta's biggest city just keeps getting bigger.
The latest municipal census shows Calgary's population went up by 3.3 per ...
Photo Store Gallery
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Canada's border agency had thousands of outdated lookout flags in system
- Protesters denounce Israeli offensive in Gaza, call on Harper to support peace
- Canada deports 20 members of Hungarian human trafficking syndicate
- Can you keep a secret? Edmonton couple reveals $50M lotto win after 7 months
- List of charities undergoing tax audits related to political activities
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- Quebec woman who stopped for ducks appeals conviction
- Suspect in Calgary stabbings sent to mental hospital for assessment
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- 'It's tough;' son of missing Calgary grandfather speaks after court
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
Ads by Google