The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents

  • Print
Police investigators comb a hay field north of Airdrie, Alta., Saturday, July 5, 2014, looking for clues to the disappearance of three people. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Enlarge Image

Police investigators comb a hay field north of Airdrie, Alta., Saturday, July 5, 2014, looking for clues to the disappearance of three people. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

AIRDRIE, Alta. - Police confirmed a search at a property near Calgary on Saturday was part of the investigation into the disappearance of a five-year-old and his grandparents.

RCMP and Calgary Police investigators were searching the acreage, on a tree-lined driveway, just northeast of Airdrie, a bedroom community just north of Calgary.

"They are at the location as part of the investigation into the disappearance of Nathan O'Brien and Katherine and Alvin Liknes," Calgary Police Duty Inspector Joel Matthews said in a news conference Saturday evening.

Matthews said a green Ford F-150 truck matching the vehicle that was captured on video near the home was recovered and a man taken into custody.

"A man from that residence has also been taken in for questioning however it's too early to determine if the address, vehicle or man taken in for questioning are linked to the file."

Five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes disappeared from their Calgary home on Monday.

Calgary Police confirmed Friday that there was evidence that a violent incident took place in the home.

The Amber Alert issued on Monday remains in effect and Matthews said it's impossible to say at this point whether the boy and his grandparents are still alive.

"We don't know that. Really we're trying desperately to find out," he said.

"This is just an investigative step. It's not that we're certain this is the fellow. We're just following up a tip. Have we found the family? No we haven't and that's why the Amber Alert is still out."

Matthews said at this point the man, who was taken into custody late Friday night, has been cooperating "to a degree" and is considered a "person of interest".

The search was likely to take another 24 to 36 hours Matthews said.

About 20 police officers were walking side-by-side doing a grid search of a hayfield just south of the acreage. A similar search was done in the area around the Calgary home earlier in the day.

The grandparents were planning a move to Edmonton and then on to Mexico when they disappeared. They had held an estate sale the weekend before the disappearance.

Police have said there are no custody issues with the family _ the boy's parents are married and he is their biological son. Police have also said officers have no history with the family. All of the family's vehicles have been accounted for.

Follow @BillGraveland on Twitter

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Steeves wants to divert BRT cash to rec centres

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A golfer looks for his ball in a water trap at John Blumberg Golf Course Friday afternoon as geese and goslings run for safety- See Joe Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge- Day 24– June 15, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A red squirrel peaks out of the shade in a tree in East Fort Garry, Sunday, September 9, 2012. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should the federal government be able to censor how Ottawa is portrayed in the CMHR?

View Results

Ads by Google