The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Quebec announces additional $60 million in aid to help Lac-Megantic

  • Print
Workers comb through debris after a train derailed causing explosions of railway cars carrying crude oil in Lac-Megantic, Quebec, July 9, 2013. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

Enlarge Image

Workers comb through debris after a train derailed causing explosions of railway cars carrying crude oil in Lac-Megantic, Quebec, July 9, 2013. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

LAC MEGANTIC,, - Quebec is granting an additional $60 million to compensate victims of last year's catastrophic train derailment in Lac-Megantic which left 47 people dead.

Municipal Affairs Minister Pierre Moreau told a news conference that $37 million of the amount would go to the owners of businesses in the disaster area.

A large swath of Lac-Megantic's downtown was destroyed when a runaway train loaded with volatile fuel oil jumped the tracks and exploded.

The government says it heard the complaints of those affected by the disaster and wanted to bring some balance to the treatment of their cases.

Business owners had complained they weren't getting help fast enough.

Moreau says there will be meetings this week with 37 business owners and that the compensation is available now.

There will be incentives offered to owners who want to rebuild their businesses in Lac-Megantic.

Moreau says if they wish to leave the area, they will be compensated for their sites based on fair market value.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Key of Bart: No Time Left for Stu

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Susan and Gary Harrisonwalk their dog Emma on a peaceful foggy morning in Assiniboine Park – Standup photo– November 27, 2011   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A female Mallard duck leads a group of duckings on a morning swim through the reflections in the Assiniboine River at The Forks Monday.     (WAYNE GLOWACKI/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS) Winnipeg Free Press  June 18 2012

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think e-cigarettes should be banned by the school division?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google