The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Quebec cabinet minister didn't step over the line in naming homicide victims

  • Print

QUEBEC - The office of Quebec Environment Minister Yves-Francois Blanchet named the three people who were found dead in a house in Trois-Rivieres last week, coming close to breaking the law Thursday.

Quebec's prosecutors office issued a statement on Feb. 13 saying it was asking police to investigate after certain media identified the three people.

Minors who are the victims of crime cannot be named if the accused are also minors — unless there is consent from the parents of the victims.

Police arrested two 17-year-old males in the three deaths, which occurred on Feb. 11. Two of the victims were also 17, while the other was the 22-year-old sister of one of them.

Blanchet's office issued a statement early Thursday afternoon in which he named the three victims and offered condolences to their loved ones.

Blanchet is the minister responsible for the region encompassing Trois-Rivieres.

The statement was quickly withdrawn from the Quebec government's website and was later pulled from the website of the agency that distributes government releases.

Rene Verret, a spokesman for the Crown prosecutors office, said the law states "no person shall publish the name of a child or young person, or any other information related to a child or a young person, if it would identify the child or young person as having been a victim of, or as having appeared as a witness in connection with, an offence committed or alleged to have been committed by a young person."

Verret said identifying the deceased without specifying they were the subject of a crime committed by an adolescent was not a violation of the law.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Blake Wheeler talks about past season

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A red squirrel peaks out of the shade in a tree in East Fort Garry, Sunday, September 9, 2012. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think Manitoba needs stronger regulations for temporary workers?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google