The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Rob Ford subpoenaed to testify in friend's 'crack video' extortion case

  • Print

TORONTO - Mayor Rob Ford has been ordered to testify at his friend's "crack video" extortion hearing in a case his lawyer said Friday was driven by police, not because the two alleged victims complained.

Ford, who is in the final weeks of campaigning for re-election, would only confirm having been served with a subpoena but refused to discuss the issue further.

"Everything now is before the courts and I suggest you talk to (my lawyer)," Ford said.

In an interview with The Canadian Press, Ford's lawyer Dennis Morris said he didn't know what information the mayor might have that could bolster the Crown's case against Alexander (Sandro) Lisi.

"This chap's charged with extortion so I have no idea why the mayor's in any way related to that but we'll find out."

Police allege that Lisi used threats, violence or "menaces" to try to force alleged west-end gang members Mohamed Siad and Liban Syad to hand over a cellphone video apparently showing the mayor smoking crack cocaine.

Morris said it appears police took it on themselves to charge Lisi with extortion.

"I don't think the alleged complainants complained at all to any police officer," the lawyer said. "The police intercepted conversations and they turned them into complainants."

Word of the so-called "crack video" — which first surfaced via the website Gawker and the Toronto Star in May 2013 — sparked a firestorm of scandal that saw council strip Ford of most of his mayoral powers and ultimately prompted him to enter rehab earlier this year after he admitted to using crack cocaine and binge drinking.

Ford will have to testify at Lisi's preliminary hearing in March in line with the subpoena, which the lead investigator in the case, Det.-Sgt. Gary Giroux, served on the mayor outside his mother's home last week.

"It was pre-arranged," Morris said. "The police wanted to serve him and they were doggedly determined to do so and he was served."

News of the subpoena initially broke more than a month ago, prompting Ford's brother, Coun. Doug Ford, to accuse police Chief Bill Blair of leaking the information. The councillor retracted the comments and publicly apologized after Blair threatened to sue.

Ford, who has frequently challenged police to charge him if they had any grounds to do so, has refused to talk to police. That won't change, Morris said.

The lawyer called the alleged incidents "history" that happened "a long time ago."

Ford has also been trying to put distance between the missteps that made him a household name and TV celebrity in much of North America and his current post-rehab self.

Following a candidates debate on Thursday, the mayor refused to discuss the scandals or the ongoing police investigation.

"Guys, we've gone down this. This is like the oldest news around," Ford said.

"Those days are gone. I'm doing what the taxpayers want me to do."

Recent opinion polls suggest Ford is well behind front-runner John Tory in the Oct. 27 mayoral race but that he remains a strongly viable candidate despite the numerous problems he has had to face.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Gary Lawless & Tim Campbell on the Jets' inconsistency - Jets This Week Oct. 16

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • horse in sunset - marc gallant
  • Geese fight as a male defends his nesting site at the duck pond at St Vital Park Thursday morning- See Bryksa’s Goose a Day Photo- Day 08- May 10, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should Premier Greg Selinger resign?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google