Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Somali gunmen kidnap Canadian aid worker in Kenya

  • Print

NAIROBI, Kenya -- Federal officials were scrambling Friday to learn more about the fate of a Canadian, reportedly one of four international aid workers officials in Kenya said were kidnapped in their country by Somali militants.

"What I can say is that we are aware of a reported kidnapping in Kenya," said Claude Rochon, a spokeswoman for the Foreign Affairs Department in Ottawa, in an email.

"We are pursuing all appropriate channels to seek further information and are in close contact with Kenyan authorities. We will not comment or release any information which may compromise these efforts."

Canada's top priority, Rochon added, is the "safety and security of its citizens."

Somali militants ambushed an aid convoy Friday, killed a Kenyan aid worker and kidnapped the four international workers at a Kenyan refugee camp near the border with Somalia, officials in Kenya said. Police in Kenya said they were pursuing the attackers.

The workers from the Norwegian Refugee Council were kidnapped after gunmen attacked a two-car convoy travelling through the sprawling Dadaab refugee camp, said police official Philip Ndolo. Dadaab hosts nearly 500,000 Somali refugees.

Ndolo said that police and military security personnel were pursuing the attackers. Kenya deployed troops into Somalia last October, so even if the kidnappers succeed in crossing back into Somalia, they may have to contend with Kenyan troops on the other side of the border.

Norwegian Refugee Council spokesman, Rolf Vestvik, said he could not yet confirm any of the details of the incident. However, Vestvik did say that the Norwegian Refugee Council's Secretary General Elisabeth Rasmusson was in Dadaab during the attack. Vestvik said Rasmusson is safe.

A spate of kidnapping attacks by Somali gunmen was one of the reasons Kenya used to justify its military push into Somalia last year.

Last October gunmen entered Dadaab and snatched two Spanish women working for Doctors Without Borders. The two are still being held, likely in Somalia. Gunmen also carried out kidnapping attacks around the coastal resort town of Lamu.

Since those attacks, Kenya has moved thousands of troops into Somalia, complicating the blueprint used by previous ambush attacks: grab a valuable international aid worker, resident or tourist in Kenya and take them back to the safehaven of Somalia in hopes of eventually collecting ransom.

Despite the presence of Kenyan military troops, al-Shabab militants still control wide swaths of southern Somalia, and if the kidnappers make it into that region, hostages could be in for a long ordeal.

No claim of responsibility was immediately made after Friday's attack.

-- The Associated Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 30, 2012 A25

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Winnipeg Cheapskate: Cheap summer weekends

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Gardening Column- Assiniboine Park English Garden. July 19, 2002.
  • Horses enjoy a beautiful September morning east of Neepawa, Manitoba  - Standup Photo– Sept 04, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Should the city grant mosquito buffer zones for medical reasons only?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google