Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Swallow last toe and you'll be sorry
DAWSON CITY, Yukon -- A man has left a Dawson City, Yukon, hotel in a bit of a toe jam.
The man was at the Downtown Hotel Saturday night drinking the infamous Sourtoe Cocktail, which involves swigging a shot of whiskey with a human toe in the glass and allowing the toe to touch the drinker's lips.
This time, the patron swallowed the digit -- on purpose. The hotel's so-called toe captain, Terry Lee, performed the drink ceremony, and said the man took the shot, gulped down the toe and then slapped $500 dollars on the counter, the fine for swallowing the appendage.
Lee said the fine has since been increased to $2,500, to provide more of a deterrent because now the hotel only has one toe left. The two shrivelled brown toes have rotated, with one in use and the other stored in coarse salt.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 29, 2013 A2
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 18 articles for today)3:21 PM 0
STEINBACH, Man. - A dry community in southern Manitoba has discovered it's actually wet.
Officials with the Rural Municipality of Hanover ...
Photo Store Gallery
- WestJet plane lands safely in Toronto after reporting engine trouble
- Sweeping report released on Toronto police encounters with those in crisis
- Fox gets famous after photographed sleeping aboard Ottawa city bus
- Rescued false killer whale calf passes first hurdle in long-odds battle
- Cdn activists to lug jugs of water to Detroit in H2O march to help residents
- Calgary man reunited with his beloved little red Corvette named Betsy
- Restrictions on transporting firearms to be eased under federal proposal
- RCMP officers injured in Moncton shootings thank public for support
- Man with air gun arrested at pro-Israel rally held at Calgary Jewish centre
- Air Algerie flight 'probably crashed'; 5 Canadians among 116 on board: officials
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Calgary police finish looking for evidence in missing couple's home
Ads by Google