The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Texas jury finds man guilty of killing Manitoba couple 25 years ago
EDINBURG, Texas - A jury in Texas has found a man guilty of the murder of a Manitoba couple 25 years ago.
Evan Squires, 70, and his wife Wilda Squires, 65, of Minnedosa were snowbirds who regularly spent the winter months in Weslaco, Texas.
They were shot and killed in their mobile home in the Magic Valley Trailer Park on Nov. 13, 1988.
A jury found Arturo Almaguer (ah-MONG'-gehr), 44, guilty of capital murder.
Assistant district attorney Joaquin Zamora says Almaguer is to be sentenced Tuesday.
Zamora said last week that his office would not seek the death penalty if Almaguer were convicted.
Evan Squires was shot once and his wife twice, said Zamora. It appears the two had been sleeping before the shooting because they were wearing pyjamas.
Zamora had said it was hard to put the case together since many witnesses, some seniors who also lived in the trailer park, have died.
Police who later examined the trailer made an odd discovery: feces on the floor. Experts were able to collect enough skin and blood cells from the feces to get a DNA profile.
Authorities said they got a match when Almaguer was arrested on an unrelated offence in Michigan.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 10 articles for today)10:22 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- WestJet plane lands safely in Toronto after reporting engine trouble
- Sweeping report released on Toronto police encounters with those in crisis
- Cdn activists to lug jugs of water to Detroit in H2O march to help residents
- Calgary man reunited with his beloved little red Corvette named Betsy
- Fox gets famous after photographed sleeping aboard Ottawa city bus
- Man with air gun arrested at pro-Israel rally held at Calgary Jewish centre
- Canadian-Egyptian journalist, Al-Jazeera colleagues did the 'devil's' job: judge
- Charities may be asked for donor lists under CRA proposal floated by minister
- Defence minister to deploy frigate to Mediterranean for ongoing NATO mission
- Restrictions on transporting firearms to be eased under federal proposal
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Calgary police finish looking for evidence in missing couple's home
Ads by Google