Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Top officer defends response by RCMP

Says shale gas protest could have been deadly

  • Print

FREDERICTON -- The RCMP's commanding officer in New Brunswick defended the police response to a shale gas protest where officers seized firearms and improvised explosives, saying Friday that if the Mounties hadn't acted, lives could have been in danger.

"There came a point in time where we knew that this situation was no longer safe and that we had to do something before it turned into a situation where, regrettably, somebody could've been injured or even killed, and that's what triggered the decision," assistant commissioner Roger Brown told a news conference in Fredericton.

Chief Supt. Wayne Gallant said the improvised explosive devices found by police Thursday were modified to discharge shrapnel and used a fuse-ignition system. Officers also seized guns and knives after moving in to enforce a court-ordered injunction to remove protesters at the site of a compound in Rexton where SWN Resources stored exploration equipment.

The Mounties said six police vehicles including an unmarked van were burned and Molotov cocktails were tossed at them before they fired non-lethal sock rounds -- beanbag type bullets -- and pepper spray to defuse the situation. But Brown said no officers discharged their firearms at any point Thursday.

"Our officers demonstrated incredible professionalism as they worked to resolve the situation under tremendously difficult and dangerous circumstances," he said.

"I will wear my heart on my sleeve for a second. I am so thankful that nothing happened yesterday because we could be having a totally different press conference today. We are so fortunate that this unfolded like it did."

He said he did not know how the weapons ended up at the encampment at the protest site.

"That is quite a large area and we did not have full control over that area," he said.

He said of the 40 arrested for firearms offences, threats, intimidation, mischief and violating the injunction, 31 have been released on a promise to appear in court at a later date.

The protesters, some of whom were members of the Elsipogtog First Nation, were demonstrating for weeks against the development of a shale gas sector in the province.

Elsipogtog Chief Arren Sock, who was among those arrested and released, met with Premier David Alward late Friday in a downtown hotel for more than three hours where they said they would meet again to discuss ways of preventing what happened in Rexton.

Sock said his community wants a 30-day period to reflect on what happened and "cool off."

"What happened yesterday is basically a black mark on the RCMP, the province and the First Nation community of Elsipogtog as well," he said. "There's nothing good that came out of it and that's unfortunate but it happened."

Alward said his officials will work to set up a framework on how his government and Elsipogtog can move on.

"It's been a long 24 hours for everybody," he said. "But I believe what everybody realizes is we don't want to see what took place yesterday happen again."

He said the possibility of a moratorium on shale gas development was not being considered at this point.

Earlier in Halifax, federal Justice Minister Peter MacKay called for an end to any further confrontations and the resumption of talks to resolve the dispute over shale gas exploration.

"There's obviously a need to respect the law and to avoid violence and return to discussions," he said at a roundtable discussion on justice issues.

"That is what we're all encouraging and hoping for, but when violence erupts you can expect the police are there to keep the peace and to protect citizens."

The protesters want SWN Resources to stop seismic testing and leave the province. SWN Resources issued a statement Friday saying it is in the early stages of exploration in New Brunswick.

-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 19, 2013 A22

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Total Body Tune-Up: Farmer's Carry

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Goslings enjoy Fridays warm weather to soak up some sun and gobble some grass on Heckla Ave in Winnipeg Friday afternoon- See Bryksa’s 30 DAY goose challenge - May 18, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / Jan 10  2011 ‚Äì WEB STDUP ‚Äì Frosty morning at -15 degrees C , in pic frost covers the the Nellie McClung statue  on the MB Legislature grounds at 7am

View More Gallery Photos


Are you concerned about the number of homicides so far this year?

View Results

Ads by Google