The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
US Coast Guard cutter rescues trapped Canadian sailboat from Arctic sea ice
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The U.S. Coast Guard has freed a Canadian sailboat that became trapped in Arctic ice off the north coast of Alaska.
KTUU-TV (http://bit.ly/1nyaGCF) reports the 11-metre Altan Girl out of Vancouver was attempting to sail to eastern Canada through the Northwest Passage.
It became trapped in ice northeast of Barrow, the northernmost city in the United States.
The Coast Guard cutter Healy reached the sailboat, and with the Altan Girl in tow, on Saturday cut a 19-kilometre path through ice to open water.
The sailboat's owner says he intends to wait in Barrow for better weather and to restock supplies.
The Healy is on a National Science Foundation funded research mission in the Arctic. The Coast Guard says the cutter is continuing with its research.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 41 articles for today)7:29 PM 0
WHISTLER, B.C. - The Arctic may be a hot commodity, with remarkable resource and tourism opportunities, but a conference has ...
Photo Store Gallery
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Can you keep a secret? Edmonton couple reveals $50M lotto win after 7 months
- Protesters denounce Israeli offensive in Gaza, call on Harper to support peace
- Death of a Quebec mayor from insect stings underscores need to be prepared
- Canada's border agency had thousands of outdated lookout flags in system
- Fruit from California recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
- List of charities undergoing tax audits related to political activities
- Suspect in Calgary stabbings sent to mental hospital for assessment
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
Ads by Google