Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Victims' kin sue Pickton, police
VANCOUVER -- The children of four women whose remains were found on Robert Pickton's property have filed lawsuits against the police and Pickton himself, demanding compensation for the failed murder investigation and a chance to confront the serial killer in court.
The daughters and sons of Dianne Rock, Sarah de Vries, Cynthia Feliks and Yvonne Boen each filed separate lawsuits Thursday in the B.C. Supreme Court, targeting the provincial government on behalf of the RCMP, the City of Vancouver on behalf the city's police force, a number of police officers, Pickton, and two of his siblings.
The statements of claim allege numerous failures on the part of Vancouver police and the RCMP, including that both forces botched their investigations into dozens of missing sex workers from the Downtown Eastside and failed to warn women in the neighbourhood a serial killer was likely targeting women in the area.
In addition, the statements say the Crown failed to prosecute Pickton for attempted murder after an attack on a sex worker in 1997, putting other women in danger.
Pickton was arrested in February 2002 and eventually convicted of six counts of second-degree murder.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 10, 2013 A22
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 10 articles for today)10:22 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- WestJet plane lands safely in Toronto after reporting engine trouble
- Sweeping report released on Toronto police encounters with those in crisis
- Cdn activists to lug jugs of water to Detroit in H2O march to help residents
- Calgary man reunited with his beloved little red Corvette named Betsy
- Fox gets famous after photographed sleeping aboard Ottawa city bus
- Man with air gun arrested at pro-Israel rally held at Calgary Jewish centre
- Canadian-Egyptian journalist, Al-Jazeera colleagues did the 'devil's' job: judge
- Charities may be asked for donor lists under CRA proposal floated by minister
- Defence minister to deploy frigate to Mediterranean for ongoing NATO mission
- Restrictions on transporting firearms to be eased under federal proposal
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Calgary police finish looking for evidence in missing couple's home
Ads by Google