Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Winter storm blasts into Newfoundland
HALIFAX -- A winter storm that blasted much of Eastern Canada moved into Newfoundland on Friday.
Environment Canada said the northeast coast and central parts of the island would see the highest accumulation of snow -- anywhere from 15 to 25 centimetres.
The forecast also called for wind gusts of up to 100 kilometres an hour along the province's south coast.
The weather prompted Air Canada to advise travellers to expect delays and cancellations of flights to or from St. John's International Airport.
That also forced a handful of flight delays at other airports in the region, including Halifax Stanfield International Airport.
High winds and rough seas in the Cabot Strait also forced Marine Atlantic to tie up its vessels.
No daytime crossings to Nova Scotia were scheduled, although the ferry service was expected to resume with late sailings on Friday.
Meanwhile, rain and some freezing rain was forecast for areas of New Brunswick that were hit with up to 20 centimetres of snow on Thursday.
The region was expected to get a brief respite today before another storm was expected to push through on Sunday.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 29, 2012 A22
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)3:01 AM 0
TORONTO - A former Supreme Court of Canada justice is to release a report today from his investigation into the ...
Photo Store Gallery
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
Ads by Google