Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Woman found dead on train, cabins quarantined
PARRY SOUND, Ont. -- A woman was found dead on a Via Rail passenger train early Saturday morning.
The company says the Vancouver-to-Toronto train stopped near Parry Sound, Ont., because four passengers were showing flu-like symptoms.
Emergency crews boarded the train and confirmed that a woman who Via Rail described in a news release as elderly had died.
The news release says the other three passengers were taken to hospital for treatment.
Via says the train was about six hours late getting to Toronto.
The train had left Vancouver on Christmas Day night.
Via says a quarantine was placed on the two rooms the passengers were in, it's not believed anyone else was in those compartments, which will be sterilized.
Health officials say it's not believed that other passengers or the train's crew were exposed to those taken off the train.
The local coroner was trying to determine the cause of death and the Ontario Provincial Police say the woman's identity was being withheld until all family members were notified.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 30, 2012 A3
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 38 articles for today)5:48 PM 0
VANCOUVER - A new report says research-and-rescue work on dolphins and whales at the Vancouver Aquarium could suffer if the ...
Photo Store Gallery
- RCMP in New Brunswick completes investigation in python deaths, now with Crown
- Edmonton drug dealers handing out cocaine samples to potential customers
- Survivor of plane crash, family of dead passenger still seeking damages from airline
- Can you keep a secret? Edmonton couple reveals $50M lotto win after 7 months
- Protesters denounce Israeli offensive in Gaza, call on Harper to support peace
- Canada's border agency had thousands of outdated lookout flags in system
- Death of a Quebec mayor from insect stings underscores need to be prepared
- List of charities undergoing tax audits related to political activities
- Fruit from California recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
- Suspect in Calgary stabbings sent to mental hospital for assessment
- RCMP charge Sen. Mike Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery
- Ontario medical student, girlfriend among passengers of doomed Malaysian flight
- Conservative party president's 7-year-old daughter hit by minivan, killed
- Mayor of Montreal-area community dies after being stung by wasps
- Police investigate suspicious death at Pemberton, B.C. Music Festival
- Canadian teacher detained in Jakarta jail on accusations of child sexual assault
- Duffy accused of charging for personal trainer, makeup artist, funeral travel
- Big Lake Ontario shark hoax shows risks posed by viral marketing, experts say
- New report questions Canadian Ukraine election monitoring missions
- Cdns at odds with Harper gov't priorities: Finance Canada focus-group report
- Family of missing boy, grandparents won't give up on finding them alive
- Moms change diapers, Dads form leaders: Justice minister's emails to staff
- Calgary police confirm violent incident in case of missing boy, grandparents
- $20,000 per person:Activists push for guaranteed minimum income for Canadians
- 'We're lucky to have her in our lives;' baby survives crash that killed mother
- Suspect in case of missing grandparents and child to make court appearance
- Investigators bring in boat in search near Calgary-area acreage in missing family case
- Calgary police say there are other leads in case of missing boy, grandparents
- Ex-wife of B.C. homicide victim says man conned her; both appeared on Dr. Phil
- Police say search near Airdrie part of probe into missing Calgary residents
Ads by Google