Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Women hit PQ over its charter

Lack of data, appointments to council come under fire

  • Print


THE
Parti Québécois’ charter  of values has prompted a backlash within the feminist movement that has reached all the way up to the head of a government body on women’s issues.

The dispute centres on what impact the PQ’s charter might have on women and the government’s failure so far to bolster its case with empirical data.

It has even resulted in a statement condemning the Quebec government — issued on the Quebec government’s own letterhead.

The head of the Quebec status-ofwomen organization accused the government of political interference after it appointed four pro-charter members to the body, the Conseil du statut de la femme.

Julie Miville-Dechêne said the nominations came just one week before the organization was to meet to discuss the PQ’s plan to forbid the wearing of religious symbols in the public service.

In a statement issued Thursday on government letterhead, Miville-Dechêne called it her job to defend the group, which is supposed to be nonpartisan and which "has, at its heart, the interests of all Quebecers, regardless of their origin."

She said that, until the latest nominations, half the council’s members preferred the idea of conducting some research to evaluate the impact of the charter on women. She all but accused the government of implementing policy on the fly.

"Not one study exists," Miville-Dechêne said.

'We don't even know, above all, how many public employees wear a veil'

-- Julie Miville-Dechêne

"We don’t even know, above all, how many public employees wear a veil and we don’t know what these women would do if confronted with the obligation to get rid of their veils.

"Will they feel liberated or, on the contrary, will they be obliged by their partners or their entourage to leave their jobs and stay at home?"

Miville-Dechêne called the nominations a serious affront to the independence of the organization. One of the four nominees, Lucie Martineau, head of a Quebec public-service union with 42,000 members, came out last week in support of the PQ plan.

Premier Pauline Marois was asked at a news conference about the dispute Friday, but for the second day in a row, she declined to answer a question on the charter.

"Nice try," the premier replied, telling the journalist to stick to the topic of the day: a forestry announcement in Lac-St-Jean.

Agnès Maltais, the cabinet minister responsible for the status of women, denied any political interference. She explained the nominations by noting the council had twice expressed support for banning religious symbols in the past.

"There were two consecutive opinions, in 2008 and 2011, that said the government had to move towards secularism," she told reporters Friday in Quebec City.

She said if all 18 members of the council want to review the position, it’s their decision. Meanwhile, Maltais welcomed Miville-Dechêne’s idea of an impact assessment.

"If she wants to do studies to better understand the effects of what we’re proposing, then she should do it," she said.

Maltais admitted she has had a difference of opinion with Miville-Dechêne, who was named head of the council by the then-governing Liberals in 2011.

Alexa Conradi, the president of the Quebec Federation of Women, also denounced the government nominations.

"We’re really scandalized by these nominations, which look like partisan nominations," she said in an interview.

Conradi admitted the women’s movement is divided on the charter issue, but that aside, she said it’s wrong to manipulate the council.

She said women’s groups are normally consulted on the nominations, but in this case, her federation only had four days to propose names.

"Normally, that process lasts a month," Conradi said.

The Opposition Quebec Liberals asked that the nominations be withdrawn.

Christine St-Pierre, the Liberals’ culture critic, praised Miville-Dechêne for having the courage to stand up to the government.

"She’s not protecting herself, but the independence of the council," she told reporters.

St-Pierre also agreed with the idea of a study as suggested by Miville-Dechêne.

She noted when Bernard Drainville, the minister responsible for the charter, was asked by reporters how many people who worked for the government wore religious symbols, he had no response.

Françoise David, a member of the legislature for Québec solidaire, also criticized the nominations, calling them a flagrant attack on the group’s independence.

She said the PQ tactic reminded her of Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, whom she accused of being hostile to opposing views and of using dirty tricks to achieve partisan ends.


-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 21, 2013 A26

History

Updated on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM CDT: accents corrected

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Kevin Cheveldayoff announces Maurice contract extension

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • PHIL.HOSSACK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Winnipeg Free Press 090528 STAND UP...(Weather) One to oversee the pecking order, a pack of pelican's fishes the eddies under the Red River control structure at Lockport Thursday morning......
  • June 24, 2012 - 120624  -  Amusement riders on the last day of The Ex Sunday June 24, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google