Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Howard Hughes gave Vancouver's Bayshore its claim to fame

  • Print
VANCOUVER -- It's been more than 30 years since the world's most famous fugitive billionaire moved into the penthouse of one of this city's landmark hotels.

Yet, on its Web site, the Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina notes that it attracts "the most discerning guests, including the late Howard Hughes."

Hughes, presumably, was not yet "late" when he arrived at the Bayshore on March 14, 1972. He was on the run from U.S. tax authorities, and had not been seen in public for many years.

"Nobody knew he was coming," says Stan Yip, then a night bellman at the hotel and now the chief concierge at the seaside property near Stanley Park.

"We were told he had called from his plane and wanted the top four floors. The manager told him we were full. Hughes said: 'If I don't get the rooms, I'm buying the hotel."'

Such threats had precedent. When the Desert Inn tried to evict him, Hughes bought the Las Vegas landmark.

When he and his entourage arrived in Vancouver, their rooms were ready.

"Nobody saw him come in," says Yip, the only Bayshore employee from that time still on staff. "He came up the housekeeping elevator. His people closed off all the elevators to the top four floors and put up security cameras to make sure no one could get near him."

Howard Robard Hughes Jr. was then 66 years old. He had built his legend as a young man -- first as a flyer in the golden age of aviation, then as a Hollywood producer and squire of starlets -- and a vast fortune over his lifetime.

By his mid-50s, Hughes totally retreated from the limelight, which only fed the public's curiosity. Without a man to see, the mystique took over, a caricature later enshrined in popular culture, in such weird characters as Willard Whyte in the James Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever and a twisted depiction of Montgomery Burns in an episode of The Simpsons.

So, when Hughes fled the United States -- to London, the Bahamas, Panama, Vancouver -- every move he made was big news.

"There were photographers camped on the roof across the street for months," says Yip. "One photographer even tried to sail past his window with a hang-glider."

None got a glimpse of Hughes. He apparently lived alone in the three-room penthouse: rooms 2089-2091.

"The only people who could go in there were his personal maid, his chef and his security," says Yip. "All his people lived on the three floors below him."

Hughes stayed six months before checking out much as he checked in. "Nobody knew when he was leaving, either," says Yip.

Hughes went on to Mexico, and took over the penthouse of the Acapulco Princess, his last residence. He died en route from Acapulco to his native Houston on April 5, 1976.

But his magnetic aura still draws people to such places as the Bayshore. The Hughes Suite -- the three rooms he lived in, though obviously updated in 21st-century elegance -- is much in demand, even priced at up to $2,500 a night.

"It's the best suite we have," says Yip.

-- Canadian Press


Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 21, 2003 $sourceSection$sourcePage

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Life Death and the Blues preview - PTE Mainstage

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • STDUP ‚Äì Beautiful West End  begins it's summer of bloom with boulevard s, front yards  and even back lane gardens ,  coming alive with flowers , daisies and poppies  dress up a backyard lane on Camden St near Wolseley Ave  KEN GIGLIOTTI  / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS  /  June 26 2012
  • Challenges of Life- Goose Goslings jump over railway tracks to catch up to their parents at the Canadian Pacific Railway terminalon Keewatin St in Winnipeg Thursday morning. The young goslings seem to normally hatch in the truck yard a few weeks before others in town- Standup photo- ( Day 4 of Bryksa’s 30 day goose project) - Apr 30, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Will you be boiling your water until the city gives the all-clear?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google